Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-24-2009, 02:25 AM   #1

Atv's and kids

We have had yet another kid killed on an ATV in Arizona, Now the state is planning to get strict on the use of them by younger kids, My question is...What do You feel is the source problem. Is it the size of the ATV? is it the lack of proper skills? Is it the fact that they ride doubles and the smaller child takes the blunt of the injury? I bought my daughter a nice stable ATV, Hell I have a hard time getting it to stand on it's edge, A very nice Snell approved helmet, And I ride on the back teaching her how to do things the right way, At a speed I feel she can control. But is that enough?

I rather feel that it is all of the above, as far as the deaths. Parents feel it holds itself up so the kids are safer. Or They consider the younger one safer with the older child, Or they feel they are safe with the child on the ATV with them. But I kinda feel that they are not. Most adults will go faster than the child can survive if they wreck. I understand most of it is stupidity, One of the deaths was because there were three people on a speeding atv, Two children one mother. She lost control, Who knew right?

But on the others I feel that kids need basic skills taught to them before they ever go solo. and they should never be allowed to go nuts until they are schooled in the Correct and safe way to use a large heavy machine. Most parents will allow a child to ride a large ATV but would laugh if You asked them if they would let that same child drive a small car.

I guess I need opinions, I am not an ATV guy but I bought my daughter one, I feel I am teaching her right...But now I wonder. Opinions are very very welcome.
And also in the last death, She was wearing a helmet, Very rare it seems....It simply landed on her and crushed her .