Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Ride Reports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-18-2008, 12:24 AM   #1

Flipped my ATV today

Did something stupid today at Carnegie State Vehicle Recreation Area. I flipped my ATV on a trail I had no business being on. It was narrow, steep, and had this really nasty off camber bump. That bump turned my sideways and I went off the trail and down the moutainside with the ATV on top of me. I'll be OK, but will be limping for a while.

So I get the ATV righted but my front brake handle is sheared off and the handle bars are bent. I'm on the top of a mountain with only rear brakes now. I can't go down the steep hills with only rear brakes. My radio is out of range from my base camp.

Off road riders are really a nice bunch of people. I got a ride on the back of a motorcycle to the valley floor where I could call for help with the radio. I'm grateful for that, but I think the ride down the mountain on the bike was more terrifying than tumbling down the hill. I just closed my eyes and prayed for the bottom.

When I got back to the ATV more people stopped to help me ease the quad down the mountian by tying my ATV to theirs with rope. Without that I don't know what I would have done.

This was not a good ride, but I came out OK in the end and I learned where not to ride.

Lynn Edwards