Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Today, 01:07 AM   #1

Hawk-X 250 vs DLX vs Lifan KPX

Hi,

I'm facing some decision paralysis at the moment. I'm hoping maybe someone has some advice for a new rider who was hoping to get into offroading in general.

I've been doing tons of research on these bikes, almost pulled the trigger on a Hawk 250 until I did a little more research and realized this was a rabbithole with more nuance than simply "Buy 1600 dollar bike and take it off-road". I would like a bike but also one that I could own to keep. I tend to not throw away my purchases, ever.

For a little background, I had started this journey at a dealer looking at new Japanese name brand dual sports. Unfortunately dealers and the used market have seem to have lost their minds where I live. $5000 for a 5 year old DRZ400 with 10K miles is typical where I live on the East Coast and CRF250s going for well over $6000. The most affordable bikes I can find is the KLR 650. A 480 lbs adventure bike that would likely not play well with an inexperienced, short rider of 5'6" stature and 29 inch inseam weighing a meager 142 lbs. I'm fearful that the first time I take it off-road, it would crush me like an ant.

I want this experience to be fun and be something I don't regret if I happen to spend money on one of these bikes and decide that it was never for me after all. Which is hard to do when the dealer is quoting me $5200 for a used KLX230. Which lead me to the Hawk 250.

tl;dr:
I'd like a bike that has some premium parts to it but isn't priced ridiculously expensive. The Hawk-X was my first decision until I learned the DLX is made of mostly higher-than-average parts compared to the regular 250. But then, I learned of the Lifan KPX, a model going for 2.7K on TXPS that apparently rides and feels very similar to the CRF250.

Since I'm not really sure which one to go with, I'd like a little advice if someone has it. I'm fine with a wrench, so changing a carb is not something I fear. But things like fixing shoddy, slender forks or having to hold a bike together with loctite is not something I am familiar with. Any suggestions?

EDIT: The idea of biting the bullet on a KLR 650 and just taking my licks is also not off the table, just something I am not sure is a good way to start.