Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-11-2023, 11:13 AM   #1

Stupid self checkout lanes

Today's rant: Self checkout lanes that are popping up everywhere... Dropped the mutant off at school this morning, and had to get some grocery shopping done. The kiddo gets to school for 7:00, and I left right from the drop-off lane and went to Kroger, about a 5 minute drive. Really close. get to Kroger, do all my grocery shopping, get up front, and there are no checkout registers open! At least, not any lanes with an actual PERSON to do the checking out. Nope, that early, in Kroger's infinite wisdom, they decided it made more sense to only have the stupid self-checkout lanes open. If I only had one or two things, I don't think I would mind so much. But I have an entire weeks worth of groceries, plus a couple bottles of wine! That means that when I scan the bottle of wine, the lane shuts down until someone comes over to make sure I'm old enough to be purchasing wine... (I'm 21 with 22 years of experience) Now, I'm nearly through scanning my items, and there's a belt there on the side that moves everything you've had to scan yourself off to end of the little island so you can conveniently bag it. The problem is that it never shuts off. Which means everything I've scanned is now a jumbled up pile at the end of the self checkout lane. Good thing I didn't get any eggs or bread! There are countless industry studies that show these self checkout lanes are universally hated by consumers! So why do companies continue to install them? Simple; it's because one person can oversee multiple lanes of people checking themselves out. I don't go to a store, to spend my money, to do an employee's job. If they offered some sort of discount, I could see some very small modicum of value in self checkout. But there's no discount, no benefit to me as the consumer, nothing. Just the knowledge that a company is perfectly willing to trade my enjoyment and loyalty shopping there for what ultimately winds up to be a miniscule change to the profit margins... The rant is over, but the frustration remains...

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up