Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-06-2022, 09:02 PM   #1

Temp & Smells

Got the bike out for another short ride after adding the heavy gauge battery ground cable, putting additional slack in the chain and double checking clutch adjustment.
Passed 25 miles on the odometer this evening. The sense of pride and accomplishment is overwhelming. Not single major breakdown yet. I credit the great advice offered on this forum.
It was very cool during the ride. No warmer than 55F. I don't have anything smoking off the engine anymore like when the exhaust paint burned off & the clutch was smoking due to poor adjustment by the owner.
Anyway... The bike is still stinking when I pulled in the drive after an easy 5 mile ride. Curious if this is just normal smell from factory paint burning off and it will eventually go away? It smells like a combination of burning header paint and dog vomit.
I put my hand on the clutch cover. I could only hold it there for about 5 seconds before my hand got too hot. Curious if this is what would be expected? I understand it's a wet clutch, sharing engine oil, but have no idea what engine oil temp should be. I could point my HF laser temp meter at it and get reading but, would good is a number without a reference?
Milwaukee, WI