Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-01-2022, 02:08 AM   #1

Doh! TBR7 Adventures in Pilot Jets fuel Mixture Screw

Just like everyone else, the stock carb is poop. The main jet is a dog and it dont idle worth damn. So I buy the VM26 generic from Amazon. There are dozens of videos and posts stating a stock bike will be happy with a main jet between 100 and 110. I settled on 105. Worked fine.

But first I needed the bike to idle. Neither the stock carb nor the new carb has any markings to tell you what is on it. Jay So LoI Hertz has a YT video stating he uses a #38 Thats because he has a modified exhaust and air intake. The new carb does not idle even with the idle screw all the way in. Soooo I install a 37.5 pilot jet and it runs way to rich, and the motor gets hot. I install a #35 PJet and it is still running way to rich Iinstall a 32.5 and yep it is still running way to rich.... I am getting frustrated at this point.

So I say F#&% it and decide to go for a #25, and now the thing is way way way way lean.... I mean way to lean, wont idle and hard starting... WTF! I throw some wrenches around and continue to keep fiddling with the fuel/air mix screw and idle screw for an hour. So now I get the idea something is wrong, a human error... I go through all my pilot jets from the kit and come to realize the one missing is a #12.5.... Yep I saw the 25 and assumed it was a #25, yep I was trying to start on a #12.5....

Sooooo I popped in a #22.5 and have now found idle bliss!!!!! The reason I tell the whole story is to help others who like me are very confused by no marking on stock jets and have no baseline to start with . None the less I am at 100 ft above sea level and the #22.5 works like a charm. Good place to start if your new and unexperienced!!!!!

Also I purchased an extended air/fuel screw with a big knob on it from Amazon made for a CRF250X on Amazon. OMG it makes the adjustment so much more convenient!

1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
Tao TBR7

Tags
air, fuel, main jet, pilot jet, vm 26