Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Media/Reviews/Classifieds/Sponsors > Video and Pics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-22-2022, 10:33 PM   #1

Storm 428H to 520 chain upgrade

The JTF328 front sprocket (I got one with 12 teeth) is a perfect match and the OEM front sprocket retainer fit exactly (used the same OEM 2x 10mm bolts with a drop of blue locktite). The JTR279 rear sprocket (35 teeth) fit perfectly (same bolt pattern), and I used a fat finishing nail clamped in a vice grip to get the snap ring on. Not too bad

Name:  Wheel.JPG
Views: 224
Size:  185.8 KB

But the recessed ring on the rear sprocket was incompatible with the original bolts, so I found thick washers and cut them to fit:

Name:  ShavedWashers.JPG
Views: 222
Size:  178.0 KB

Then the bolts fit just fine I added a drop of blue locktite just before bolting the sprocket on:

Name:  Bolted.JPG
Views: 233
Size:  172.8 KB

I had to take about 12 links off the 120 link RK M520H chain.
Here is a side by side pic with the 520 on the left, original 428 on the right. Much heftier link thickness and a slightly longer pitch. I destroyed that old chain with clay/mud. Never again. I am staying away from mud!

Name:  428Hvs520.JPG
Views: 221
Size:  188.8 KB

I am going about 7% lower final drive ratio so it will be slower but 1st and 2nd gears will be better off road. I can't wait to try this out