Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-01-2022, 08:04 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatHead View Post
My new Hawk 250 was running fine for about the first hour at the ORV park. Just gently riding some trails to break it in. Then it died, and couldn't be restarted electric or kick. I brought it home and checked everything from the spark plug to air filter and fuel. All good. The carb seemed fine too (though I'm no expert). I read on here about valve clearance sometimes being an issue, so I pulled the valve cover. As I was trying to find TDC I noticed that only the exhaust valve was moving. I've gone through several cycles and the intake valve never moves. The curved rod that pushes the rocker up and closes the exhaust valve moves freely, but the matching rod for the intake valve is barely visible (so I'm assuming it is stuck down) and therefore never pushes the valve closed.

Any ideas on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated. This is my first dirt bike since childhood, and I'm no spring chicken...I'm also no mechanic so please use small words lol.
You were obviously on top of this from the start. If you have no evidence of interference (valve damage) and you free the valve you will be faced with the choice of going to bat on a warranty head replacement or just reinstalling and getting it running right. Warranty may be an uphill battle if the valve is moving again. Then again, it could be fixed and without any significant damage to the valve seats. Good luck!

Tags
starting, valve adjustment