Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-07-2021, 11:59 PM   #1

Head Scratching No 12v on bike

Hi all,
I'm not sure what happened but I recently took my bike for a spin with a strangely dead battery. I soon realized that I had no signal lights, and then pulled over to find that none of the lights were working. Investigating further, there was no 12VDC to run anything on the bike.

The bike is running, and I've been able to note that while running there is less than 1vdc going to the spark coil, and the harness coming off the engine to the shut off switch is up around 80VDC. The 12V regulator has nothing close to 1VDC on it, nevermind 12VDC, and the CDI unit has that full 80VDC in but again less than 1VDC out. Does this indicate a faulty CDI unit or a faulty wiring harness that isn't supplying voltage from the alternator to the 12V regulator? Perhaps I'm missing something and perhaps the stator itself went bad. I will start it up tomorrow and get the voltage between the yellow / white wire and ground. That said, seeing 80V into the CDI isn't to be expected is it? I'm amazed it runs.

I ordered the complete wiring kit (harness, stator, CDI, handlebar controls...) and will probably proceed first with installing the stator, then perhaps the harness. Also reference this page when doing more electrical testing:

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=13934