Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-04-2021, 06:21 AM   #1

Obese w/ short legs, but want to give dual sport riding a try. Options?

Weight: 375lb
Height: 6'1"
Inseam: 28" (height is ALL torso)

I have no prior motorcycle experience. For the past 6 months or so I've been really thinking I'd like to try out dual sport riding. It seems pretty apparent that I'm going to have to work on the suspension of any bike I get to accommodate my weight, and probably also my short legs as I'd like to be able to put my feet down.

I've been eying the EFI version of the Hawk just because it's affordable while still to not having to deal with a carb (I about went nuts trying to figure out a carb issue on my Honda ATC200ES 3 wheeler).

I had originally been considering buying something like a Yamaha XT250, because the low seat height was pretty appealing. But the used prices of those in my area seem to be going for factory new MSRP, and new bikes are being listed at the local dealer for $7000+ "thanks to COVID". So that's put me back looking at the efi Hawk.

I've been trying to find information on how to pick the right shock based on load weight, but my google-fu is apparently too weak. I'd be looking to lower the bike by several inches while also beefing up the suspension. Can anyone point me in the right direction to resources to figure out what I would need to be looking for in order to get the bike to accommodate my short-legged fat ass?