Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-21-2021, 11:45 AM   #1

Wacky Day Yesterday

So I have this Defib/Pacemaker installed for about 6 years now. It came in damn handy once a year after install, but has been silent since. My med barrage has been keeping the ticker going well and I've had no issues.....until yesterday.

Wasn't feeling in top shape but plugging along. Some other med changes have had me weirded out a little, but I didn't think much of it. Just the usual drudgery and aches and pains of aging, I guess.

I was out in the new shop yesterday rearranging the shelves to fit more stuff from the garage when I thought... "I've never heard that tone in that particular Allman Bros song before...". Then it hit me. I cupped my implant with my hand and the sound got WAY louder. Oh shit.....

I looked at the dog, "Spot...gotta cut this short. Let's go get mom." I didn't feel anything odd other than that sinking feeling and (honestly) the first thought of, "So....I guess this is how it's going to happen?"

Into ER we go. Still not feeling any pain but kinda tripped out and dizzy....and of course, waiting for something to happen....

"How can we help you?" the lady asks.
I pointed at my chest, "My alarm went off."
Next thing I know....VOOM!!! I was behind the wall, on a gurney, and hooked up.

Blood work, chest X-Ray, EKG, etc...etc.... and (I carry my card with me), they read my implant with a Star Trek hand-held doo-hickie.

An hour later....everything came back perfect. No bad rhythms, enzymes, chest was clear.

"Your unit has recorded nothing erratic in the last few months. Your heart is pumping fine. The only thing Medtronics (the pacemaker folks) can think of is an outside magnetic influence may have been involved to set off your alarm."

Obviously, me and the Mrs. were relieved. I got released and home we went.. Then it dawned on me. The very last thing I did while moving stuff on the shelf was relocate a compression tester set.....AND A BIG ASS DRILL, which I held against my chest for a second, while I planted the compression tester on the shelf above.

Moral of the story. If you have something in your chest that keeps you going, steer clear of big magnets! It will really screw up your day......

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350