Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-13-2021, 08:04 AM   #1

Head Scratching Grease + heat gun = best chain lubrication ever?

I was thinking....new chains come pre-lubed from the factory with a nice, uniform coat of grease that you can see literally oozing even from underneath the rollers (I'm talking about open/roller chains ofc, not O-ring or more advanced stuff).

However, once that's gone, no matter what you do, you simply cannot get back to the same level of the original factory lubrication. Oils may be thin enough to penetrate, but will also fling off just as easily. Greases and solid sprays seem to stay mostly outside the chain even if they come with solvents etc.

There's ofc the oldschool approach of removing the chain and literally boiling it in a pan of grease (which is kinda what they do at the factory!) but who does that anymore?

BUT, what if you combined some good old fashioned grease, with some locally applied heat, e.g. with a flameless heat gun, so that things don't go poof? Wouldn't that then penetrate inside the links/rollers just like oil, but harden once cold, thus giving you the closest you could get to a factory lube? Seems also the only way to get semi-solid grease inside the links, other than the oldschool grease boiling, but without removing the chain.

Whaddya think? Could it work? Has anybody tried it?

BTW, I got this idea when I saw that they now sell battery-powered heat guns...

Last edited by ChillRider; 04-13-2021 at 08:40 AM.