Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-12-2020, 10:41 AM   #1

About to upgrade the cg 229 asking for input

I am about to (mid Nov) try to get a little more out of my Recon 250 engine as others have done but wanted to ask whether certain things really need to be done?

Just like others i am aware of the limitation of the engine but for the most part i am looking at more low to med grunt to be able to accelerate quicker and maintain speed on hills , ideally would like to maintain 65mph in high elevation (6000ft) . Top speed is not my goal but 70 mph would be nice if needed.

So i have a mild cam and roller followers on order (i think its the same one others have used?)

4 degree advance key way.

I plan on a 1 mm shave of the head plus port and polish.

Just finished reading the post and link one legged put in about a sleeve and piston kit to go to a 69 or 70 mm piston, which i'm seriously considering as my engine is about to be worked on any way (cost about $100 with shipping)

Question : do i need an upgraded CDI box if so does anyone recommend one ?

Is my pz30 carb big enough/ flow enough or should i step up to a different one ?

Is the stock air box and filter able to flow enough air or is a pod filter set up the way to go?

Currant gearing is 17/43 and i have the ebay cfr 230 exhaust on the bike already.

I would appreciate your thoughts and advice or even suggestions .

Oh what about an oil cooler? i am never in traffic but would like to ride further 50 miles on open road to explore more trails?