Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-27-2020, 12:10 AM   #1

another casualty - please wear your gear

hey folks, hope all had a great friday and wish you all a good weekend.
I crashed my bike about 3 days after I got it which was about a month or so ago and ever since have had some nagging back pain and have been wearing a back brace / kidney belt and have been coping and continuing to work. yesterday morning I woke up with a serious uptick in pain but went to work and while the pain wasn't unbearable it was increasing and my thought was that I would get home early ( 1pm ) and rest and heal for a couple of days. after taking the dogs out I ran a few inches of hot water in a tub to soak and when I tried to get out I almost couldn't get up, the pain was terrible and I have a high threshold for pain, I actually broke my back and never even went to the doctor years ago and only found out when having an mri for another issue. any way I thought I would tough it out but finally around 4pm I called my vacationing wife and asked her to come home to take me to orthopedic urgent care this morning so she left my daughter and the grandkids at the beach and came home. I had xrays this morning and said the bones all look good and put me on steroids for inflammation and something for sleep but so far it is only getting worse and I wish now I had taken the shot they offered. ( I took the pill for sleep around 8:30 and I am still up after midnight )
this was a pretty simple fall on a trail a couple hundred yards from home, a quick there and back. I hadn't received my helmet yet and hadn't yet ordered armor yet but likely wouldn't have worn it anyway thinking I was only going on a quick ride. I believe that with a kidney belt and hip pads I would have avoided anything more than maybe a sore hip for a day or two and some hurt pride. I admit I sometimes felt silly putting on all the gear even after this fall but if I can get over this not only will I not feel silly I will be upgrading to better armor and more of it. had I had and worn it I would be riding this weekend instead of suffering.
Please be careful and wear gear to protect yourself, there are people who love you and need you in their lives and a fall can happen anytime and anywhere, even in your yard.
Best wishes to you all.