Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-10-2020, 12:33 AM   #1

2020 Bashan Motomax 250 gas leak

Thanks to this forum, I learned about and was able to get a very slightly used Bashan Motomax 250 from a great fellow Forum member.

I am a brand new motorcycle owner, and I have used the Motomax as a daily commuter to work (about 20 miles total a day about 3 times a week). I have put about 350 miles on it and, for the most part, it has been great.

I am not very mechanically inclined, but I have managed to do some fixes. The only real issues thus far were that the rear brake stopped getting pressure but (thanks again to this forum) I was able to flush it which seemed to do the trick. I was also able to switch out the headlight for an led one.

Today, though, I took it to work and when I got out I noticed a puddle of liquid under the motor. It was gasoline.
I rode it home, and parked it. A little later, there was another gas puddle. I switched off the petcock and the leak stopped.

The gas leak seems to be coming out of a single hose that is just hanging down from something attached to the carb area?

As can be seen from the pictures, behind the carb, and near where the petcock is (but on the other side) there is a hose which just hangs down unattached at the end. Is this normal?
I confirmed that this is where the gas is coming from.

The only unusual thing I have done recently is that I ran out of gas coming home last time (the Motomax doesn't have a fuel gauge, just a trip counter). I managed to put a little gas and rode it to a gas station. Up to now, I had been putting in ethanol free gas. As it was not available this time, I just put in premium and topped it off. I am not sure if that could make a difference.

Assuming it is not a petcock leak (because it stops when the lever is closed), does anyone have an idea of what it could be. Is it something that needs to be fixed or should I just close the petcock everytime I get off the bike? And, why would it just start now?

Any help would be appreciated - thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg InkedIMG_20200509_202201151_LI.jpg (85.1 KB, 501 views)
File Type: jpg InkedIMG_20200509_202213668_LI.jpg (83.7 KB, 487 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200509_202137262.jpg (92.9 KB, 453 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200509_202155936 (1).jpg (84.6 KB, 476 views)