Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-13-2020, 10:59 AM   #1

Is Tao Tao wrong about the Tbr7 chain links?

I know there are tons of guys breaking sprocket bolts on Hawks and Tbr7s. I have a brand new 2020 Tbr7 0miles with the chain tight as a drum,Rear wheel all the way forward. The book says there should be 20-30mm chain slack. It seems when chain replacement comes up people say 428 130link right? There is more info out there on the Hawks so I figured Id take a shot for the Tbr7 guys.
When you search Tbr7 chain and look at Tao Tao parts direct its listed as 428H 126links (out of stock). I ordered the 130 link JTC428HDR230SL that seems to be the popular cheap choice on here. I plan on switching the chain before I ride it and maybe prevent the headache.
Just saw a guy I follow with a Tbr7 snap the sprocket bolts and wreck the rear hub BUT I have never seen anyone here say "My chain had proper slack and still broke the sprocket bolts".....Am I correct on that? Im sure someone will say they had it right an still broke bolts but I bet not!
My theory is this bike does not have the torque to snap sprocket bolts but when the swing arm is traveling and hits the tightest part of chain slack its ripping apart. In that case I say your lucky if you damage the rear bolts and not the rear hub,Or the front shaft,Or if the chain fails and whips around. So I dont know about upgrading sprocket bolts like everyone else. I think that might be the correct place for a weak link.
Also finally got some pics outside of the Tbr7
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00019.jpg (104.3 KB, 1163 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00012.jpg (107.4 KB, 1324 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00016.jpg (104.5 KB, 1526 views)