Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-17-2019, 09:30 AM   #1

RX3 Starter Issue

Here's the deal: the bike I bought had a problem with the starter, which is why the previous owner took it to a mechanic to get it fixed. I saw the mechanic totally disassemble the starter clutch assembly, replace the starter clutch, and put it back together. I was told the piece called the Bendix was okay for now, and should be replaced in 35-40,000km.

The bike had a little trouble starting the last couple days, but was able to start in about a minute. Today, when trying the start the bike (fuel line on, kill switch not engaged, full choke), it just wouldn't turn over. I could hear the starter whirring but not engaging. I checked the battery voltage and it's at 12.40. After trying to start the bike for about 30 min (not continuously, trying a few times then taking a break), the engine finally started when I was testing the battery.

Was this just a coincidence? Should I go back to the mechanic since the starter problem isn't fixed? I don't want to have a problem starting the bike on a daily basis.

What other diagnostics can I do with basic tools and a multimeter?

Thank you!