Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-14-2019, 05:14 AM   #1

Finding the Girlfriend a bike.

Still gathering ideas at this point, but maybe some insight from you guys may help. I have sloooowly piqued the interest of my better half into getting her own bike to ride with me. I am not a fan of 2 up, and my bike scares the crap out of her (she wanted to know what full throttle felt like lol) so I personally think it is the best route to go.

Background wise, she is a bit above average height at 5'9, but not long of leg, so seat height is a mild factor. Anything up to about 30 inches will work with her comfortably. She isn't afraid of a manual transmission, but I have a feeling she would be more comfortable with an auto/DCT which has somewhat steered me toward some Honda choices.

She will likely not be doing a lot of commuting with the bike, but the idea is to eventually be able to go on longer touring rides so I don't want to go too small in the engine department, but i don't want it too big and heavy either (sub 600lbs, preferably sub 500 if possible). She isn't anti sport bike, but obviously she isn't going to gravitate toward a supersport either.

Seeing as she is a total Honda fangirl (Civic Type R in the past, currently an Accord, has an old N600 she is restoring) and she adored my GL1000 and loves my VFR, at least as far as looks and sound go, I have obviously been leaning heavily in the Honda department, specifically the 700cc DCT and 500cc standard bikes. The plan is to go try and sit her on the following and see what she likes. Her one restriction is budget, which she wants to keep no higher than $7000.

A 2016 NM4 (Vultus) with about 900 miles on it listed for $6500 This is my personal favorite, but I tend to like the goofy bikes with quirky styling. It has built in luggage, although it isn't the most practical inside shapes. Downside is that it is a bit heavy at 562lbs, but not out of reason, and the center of gravity is really low.

A 2018 CTX700 DCT. Brand new bike, carryover model year and I can get it for just a couple hundred over her budget. Basically an NM4, but more normal lol. Downside is the luggage is extra and would put it way over budget and it is also a little on the heavy side. Plus is that it will come with a full factory warranty.

A brand new Rebel 500 - realistically the most ideal starter bike for her, but they are small, cheap feeling, and buzz a bit. The pluses are that it is light, and even with ABS comes in comfortably below her maximum. Soft luggage would be easy to add. The downside is, they really aren't meant for long distance riding.

A CB500F - What I think would like to see her get because it's less cruiser and more standard. Same engine as the Rebel 500. Downside is it is a little tall for her, and well, what I want doesn't matter lol.

So that is my list (is my Honda Fanboy showing?)
Since I am such a fanboy I was just curious if you guys can think of any other bikes that fit within the parameters. Keep in mind that new, or nearly new is preferable for her, but I can steer her toward a used bike just out of practicality. I also don't fully subscribe to the 250cc starter bike mentality, especially with an older beginner rider who has a lot more responsibility and patience built in. I tend to lean toward 500-650cc class bikes in that case purely for practical reasons. Especially considering that she will probably keep this one bike for many years to come and not do what we tend to do and swap bikes like our underwear, so I want it to be something that has "staying" power.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124