Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-01-2019, 05:56 PM   #1

Thumbs Up Hawk Wheel Bearings (complete)

I have completely replaced all of my wheel bearings along with new rear seals. I found conflicting, incomplete, or confusing information so I embarked on a deeper journey of my own. The following is the result.

I chose McMaster-Carr to supply my bearings. They are a trusted supplier to heavy industry.

Two Front 6301-2RS Bearings from McMaster-Carr for $20.58

Two Rear 6302-2RS Bearings from McMaster-Carr for $20.68

Playing the McMaster-Carr lottery I received "Designed in Germany but made in Korea" F.A.G. bearings. Props to McMaster-Carr for getting them here in 24 hours.

I did pack them with additional Maxima Waterproof grease.

One Rear 25x47x10 Seal from Amazon Prime for $6.49

One Rear 28x42x7 Seal from Amazon Prime for $5.99

UPDATE: The elusive, single front seal is a 23x37x7. I was not able to identify this seal before its removal so I had not purchased one. I ended up reusing my original, but they appear to be available online for less than $5.

To make the job easier, I also purchased the following bearing removal tool kit. This, combined with a couple large flat bladed screwdrivers, a big hammer, and some WD-40 got the job done.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004MAPN42?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Overall, I am extremely pleased with the results and the resulting peace of mind. A couple notes, the rear bearings are 15mm I.D. riding on a 14mm axle. Not ideal but you'll spend ALOT of cash and/or time trying to make this better, trust me, just bolt it all together and ride it. I did lightly coat my axle bolts in grease as well. You dont NEED the bearing tool, but it does make life easier. Riding on new well greased bearings has resulted in a slightly quieter and smoother bike with almost 1900 miles on it. I now trust my bike more for the long journeys. I also flipped my axle bolts so the nut is on the left (sprocket) side of the bike. In the event of catastrophic hub damage, the axle bolts can only get tighter (or break ).

Also, I got my dimensions for the rear seals from CSC. The brake rotor side seal is spec'd with a smaller I.D. than the OEM seal. It actually works better!
2018 Hawk - Nibbi PE30, Nibbi Intake, UNI Filter, Ebay Exhaust, NGK 4929 (non-Iridium), 428 D.I.D. X-Ring, 15/40 Sprockets, Walmart AGM Battery, IMS Shifter, Full LED Lighting, Digital Cluster, CSC Swingarm Pin, Modified Chain Adjusters, Upgraded Wheel Bearings

** MPH Cruise, ** MPG

Last edited by Baskt_Case; 10-06-2019 at 12:57 PM.