Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-01-2019, 10:31 PM   #1

Taotao atm50 isnt happy

Hello all! long time lurker/reader but this is my first post.

For the past few days, my 2011 taotao 63 has been near impossible to start. If I do choose to turn it over for a couple minutes, it'll eventually start to putter but has very little power. Ill top out at MAYBE 25 on flat and hills that I can usually go 30 on will slow me down to 5-10. I weigh ~145lbs and usually have 20lbs of tools and junk with me. It will also stall unpredictably, requiring another couple minutes of cranking to restart. I have tried two different carbs, both cleaned before use. New fuel lines, Valves set to a TIGHT .006 (my smallest feeler).. has been fine for ~1500km. New spark plug, gapped @ .024, spark checked against valve cover, Compression tested @ 145psi and holds. Mechanical timing is correct from everything I can see ("T" mark, marks on sprocket, rocker nubs positioned correctly). Spark plugs indicate i'm running rich, which i'm ok with having heard these tend to run lean and burn up rings. I dislike starting fluid but have tried it to no effect. Vacuum lines are still stock (i think) but all connected and in good shape. Bike has ~2400km on it, 2000 of which I've put on it since getting it a few months ago. Up until now its run very well, usually starting up with one or two kicks, even @ 30F.. I also checked the oil from my last two changes and it was metal free. Im sure I'm leaving something out but ill add it if I remember

Heres a video of it cranking.. when it give it some gas, ill get a faint popping sound and it definitely produces some exhaust

and a compression test

It seems to me like the spark is out of time.. Im reasonably competent when it comes to the mechanical side of small engines but electricity is still boarderline magic to me. Open to any ideas.. this thing is basically my car at the moment.

Thanks,

James