Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-24-2019, 12:53 AM   #11

Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
He dealt with Roketa before Roketa's owner went to prison for falsifying VIN #s!

The EPA issues do happen, and not just to 'shady' companies (but that depends on how much hand they have in the issue). My friend, for example, took on distributing TGBs in 2015. At the time, he was also distributing Sach's Madass 50. One random check of a container from Sachs found that they had changed the carb from factory spec ( and EPA/DOT spec) which resulted in the entire contaner getting shipped back and my friend severing ties for good with them. All to save $4.00/carb. The bad thing for my friend was that he was red-flagged by Customs. In early 2016, Customs pulled a container of TGB scooters shipped from Taiwan. Only TGB had changed the carb slightly, which was ultimately found to be for the better, but that was all it took. My friend did not have TGBs for a year, and he had to change his business model. Again, EPA retesting showed that there were less emissions (why TGB in Taiwan didn't think anything of it...TGB knows what it is doing from an engineering standpoint), and ultimately cleared the bikes back into the US, but it showed me that behind the scenes, there is much shenanigins goig on!
Yeah totally! Crazy shady stuff, CHina has loooong been sending over whatever leftovers they have-- they throw something together after doing runs of approved bikes with odds and ends and it may be a good product but, according to customs & our USA government & EPA/CARB bikes imported need to be an exactly approved design using the exactly approved materials and there can be issues of fines and it getting sent back if not approved--but China knows we want to buy their stuff and we cannot check all of it so if they save a few bucks on millions of units maybe its worth the fines? or maybe someone in China is getting axed for the bad mistakes!!... i randomly read how Lifan not too long ago got fine over $140k for USA engine imports fines...In the case you mentioned above where the carb was changed and the emissions got better--that can actually cause an issue because each bike is issued an EPA/CARB certificate for a specific design using specific materials like specific metals in the catalyst arranged a certain way--and if the materials are different metals or different fiberglass and/or arranged in a different way from what the EPA certificate approves the company to import then they can deny import and fine the company --I think even if the emissions are actually better just because the design/materials used isnt an EPA/CARB sticker approved design...

"Life's too short not to enjoy it-So's my China Bike!"-Me