Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Everything Else
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-11-2019, 11:40 PM   #1

20' toy hauler trailer build

By request a description and few pic. of my future toy hauler. Why build my own, same reason we ride china bikes, we all can't afford new expensive stuff.
I am building a 24' toy hauler/camp trailer, living/cargo is 20' (5 sheets of plywood long to maximize material. Trailer frame is 4" standard Channel, single 3,500 lb axle (build so I can move it front/back, tongue weight adjustment). Every 4' I have cross member, I don't have pictures of just the bare trailer frame. I sheeted the trailer frame with 1 1/8 tongue/groove plywood (bolting it to the trailer frame), primed/painted the underside, glued the joints. Makes a nice stiff floor. Framed the walls out of 1 1/8 plywood studs (cut all of them) why because I could not find straight lumber for a light weight stud 2" wide 1 1/8 x 2 studs. Sheeted the trailer with 6mm marine plywood then fiberglassed the exterior. The entry door will be a door in a door. 4' wide plywood door and in that door will be a rv. entry door, that way I can load motorcycle thru the big door and use the rv entry door for normal use. In the front will be a bed, camp stove, freezer and such, insulate it and probably install a wood stove.
My back ground is I build a stitch/glue plywood skiff, basically a fully fiberglassed boat so the plywood does not get wet. Renn Tolman skiff.
I will post pictures, need to figure out how to shrink their size, too large.