Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-08-2018, 08:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NzBrakelathes View Post
6 speed should be fine but might need to special order or just order all parts to assemble the engine or change to 6 speed
No 6 speed isn’t an extra overdrive
It’s pretty much same 1st n top gear with more divisions in between
My experience is Yoshimura trans in Honda 100 and 125 and TT-R230 and XT 225 trans in TW200. Same. Set 1st same as OEM with final drive, 5th of the old trans will be about the same as 6th with the new trans.

Problem I had with the Hondas was half the displacement made about the same power as the TT. Stock, peak horses where 11,00rpm or so. My race engines put out about as much as a RX3, between 13k and 14k. Not enough powerband to handle the stock ratio gaps. This caused slow starts because 100CC bikes with tires small enough to spin out of the hole wore tires too small to put down power when sliding. Then, every shift took 2 or 3 seconds to get back in the power band. A 5 lap sprint would be lost before the 1st curve. The closer ratios from the extra gear fixed that acceleration problem, but had zilch effect on hole shot or top speed, resulting in fastest 3 getting to the 1st curve instead of dead last, every time. Great fun pissing of the 2-stroke riders.

The problem with TWs was 3-4 and 4-5 with the stock trans, the stock engine would shift right off the bottom of the powerband. Uphill and or headwind was often 4th gear/50mph. That's all she would pull. BUT, if you found a downhill and got her up to 70mph in 5th, she would stay there up the same hill that was 50mph 4th gear because she was making a lot more power at 7700rpm than at 5500 rpm. Same thing happened between 3rd and 4th. With a 6-speed, 4th was higher, so would wind up into the bottom of the powerband in 5th, then 5th was higher so would wind up into the bottom of the powerband in 6th. With no other change, the bike would then pull itself up to 70mph on hills it used to run max 50. Gearing is everything, folks.

This discussion reminds me of a '69 SS396 L89 Camaro my sister wrecked. Drove it on the street and did a ton of 1/8-mile drag racing. Hookers, 2 1.5 inch duals with crossover and turbo mufflers were the only mods to the engine. Yet this plated street car with stock interior, even 4-channel 8-track and air conditioning, and the baby's car seat, regularly dusted highly modified race only Hemi and Wedge 'Cudas, Boss and Cobra Jet Mustangs, other SS and Z28 Camaros, even an AMX, no problem, consistently, on street tires. How? 12-bolt rear, Estrada rebuilt positraction, and 5.38 gears. Everyone else ran 4.11 gears, better on the quarter where my stock block 396 would run out of RPM. On the eighth, they were consistently embarrassed by my wife's "grocery getter".

That's where I learned the importance of gear ratios, and that knowledge over the years won tons of races. It's one of the "secret" differences between a winner and a consistent also-ran.