Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-01-2018, 12:54 PM   #1

Falling in Head First

Hiya everyone! I'm Mercedes! This summer I decided to follow one of my dreams and I decided to get into motorcycles. I got my motorcycle license in early June and I already have four two-wheeled addictive conveyances. As it happens, two of my new toys are from China. I think they have a bit of charm to them that my others don't have.

I'm happy to subject this forum to my madness! I love to tinker with things and have always enjoyed modding and repairing my cars. I've found it easy to transition my curiosity for shattering my nails working on things to motorcycles and scooters.

Here's what I'm working with so far!

2012 Jinlun 150cc Ruckus - [haven't given it a name yet] (forgot the actual model name, it's a word and number soup). I picked this one up last week for $300. It has some rust and it "ran when parked" at the end of last season. In all, it should be an easy project. So far it just needs a battery, maybe a carb clean (or a new one, they're only $20), and maybe some fuel treatment. I'll then add some nice customizations, clean up the rust, and have myself a fun scooter that looks awesome.

2008 Bashan MC-16-150T - "Imperator Slowiosa". I got this one to participate in the Illinois Gambler 500 navigational rally this Fall. The idea was that I was going to strip it naked, add some gerry cans, some spotlights, and give it a "Mad Max" theme. The last time this thing ran was when it was at the dealership back in 2008. It has all of 3 miles on it. The story was that the original owner bought it, trailered it home, then let it sit for ten years. He didn't even title it. I will be the first registered owner of a brand new ten year old scooter!

I couldn't get it running. Tried as I might, it just wouldn't work. I had a hunch that the petrol tank must have started disintegrating from the inside out from the ten year old fuel. I didn't like the premise of fixing it, so I sold it on Facebook to a scooter mechanic for the price I paid for it ($200). Not even 24 hours later, its new owner told me that he got it running on an external tank. As it turned out, I was right about the petrol tank. I had already replaced the carb by that point and was apparently pretty close to getting it running. The tank looked absolutely gnarly inside. He said he'd fix it, get it running on the onboard tank, then sell it back to me for the price he paid plus about $50. He'd rather I keep it than him. I can't say no to that!

Once I get it back, I'll finish my Mad Max theme! If it survives the Gambler, it will also be my "winter bike".

Number three is a 2005 Honda Rebel 250 (named "Velma") that I picked up off Craigslist for $600. Its original owner dropped it on himself and decided he needed it gone. Four is the bike I bought almost a month before the MSF, a 2000 Buell Blast (named "Neutron")! I've ridden significantly more than I've driven this summer.

The "Ruckus" one is going to be my favourite project of the lot.

Edit: Oh my, those photos didn't automatically resize, brb!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg qwfvyfeylab9kt5jf1jl.jpg (96.9 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg cmwhjvygukxkgnh1k9vi.jpg (99.6 KB, 187 views)
File Type: jpg nynyrqivkeabishubrvm.jpg (98.7 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg zr7w52paocko7wa2r5ed.jpg (101.3 KB, 171 views)

1972 Yamaha U7E "Endeavour"
1972 Yamaha DT175 "World Discoverer"
1980 Honda GL1100 (naked) "Poseidon"
1982 Suzuki GS850G "Atlantic"
1996 Honda CBR600F3 "American Star"
2009 CF Moto Fashion 250 "Phoenix"
2012 Jinlun Ruckus "Gambler"