Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-30-2018, 08:43 AM   #1

RX3 for mostly gravel/dirt roads?

I could use some input on where the RX3 really shines to help me decide if this is the right bike for me.

My Background:
I have been riding motorcycles for a few years now – but only on pavement. In a couple of weeks I am moving to a part of the country that has many gravel and dirt roads.
I have a CTX700 which I am planning to keep for longer highway trips but am wanting to get a second bike to explore these backroads and I expect my riding on this second bike to be 10% pavement, 80% gravel/dirt roads, and 10% firetrails and NON-technical offroad riding. My first bike was a TU250X and while it only had 16 HP, the lack of power was no issue to me – I mostly like to cruise at the speed limit and enjoy the scenery. And if I need to run down the Interstate, I will still have my CTX.
I am 6’ tall with a 30” inseam and weigh 200 lbs. My riding style is very laid-back cruising.

My dilemma:
I’m having difficulty researching this. I am attracted to the RX3 because of its price-point. Its great list of standard equipment, ABS on the latest model, and the loyal following of owners (people who buy it really seem to like it). It looks like a great bike. However, I don’t know if, based on my intended use above, if I should be getting this bike or would be happier with a more dual-sport oriented bike like the CRF250L (or maybe even the TT250?).
I’m not planning on technical off-road riding and not wanting to jump anything or wheelie or anything like that – I just have no idea about gravel and dirt road riding and whether a dual sport is better if this is primarily what I am going to be doing. I have spent a lot of time attempting to answer this question with Google, but it seems that the question only gets answered for mostly pavement vs. more serious off-road, and I can’t exactly test these bikes out in the manner I intend to use them.

I'm sure the RX3 will work for this, but is it the best tool for the job? Would I be happy with the RX3 (with the 19" front wheel upgrade) for gravel road exploring for a few hours at a time? Would I be happier on a CRF250L? Would it be able to comfortably cruise 20MPH faster on the same road?

Thank you in advance for your input here.

-Duke