Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-14-2018, 08:25 AM   #15

High Mileage Hawk

I first considered a Hawk after renting two in the Dominican Republic for 10 days. We had a rented a small SUV, but it was pretty much useless on the narrrow roads and impossible parking in the small town we stayed. I found a shop that rented motorcyles and 4 wheelers. For a very reasonable price I rented two for the week. I had never heard of a Hawk before and asked the shop owner who made them, he just told me it was like a Honda from China. I really like the bike and found it would easily carry two people at 50 mph and was fairly nimble over some of the rough and rutted roads. I was impressed as the bike I was riding had over 40,000 (km’s or miles not sure) and started-ran very well and truly reminded me of the XR hondas I had growing up. I am pretty sure everything on the bikes was strictly stock. Only thing I noticed was that the rear sprocket was worn. I asked the shop owner if they were reliable , he told me he changed the oil, put on new tires now and then and that was it. I saw these things on the roads carrying everything from panels of plywood, propane tanks, families of 3-4 and sometimes 4 as well as cases of beer. I was impressed. So it seems that with some care they might be able to rack up some heavy mileage, and even if not with a low cost rebuild you can be back at starting point easy enough.