Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-02-2017, 01:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
Middle of the sight glass while it is not running.

Also, I didn't forget the valve lash. I just wanted to give somebody else a chance to throw forth some knowledge... I swear!

As far as the valve lash. Set it now. That waiting until break in is a bad idea. Why? Because as the engine breaks in the valve stems stretch a bit, so that means less clearance. Your red exhaust pipe and idle/running issues are likely being caused by one or both valves not seating fully.

Set the lash on the loose side, sau .004 inch. ntake and exhaust, and after a couple hundred miles check the lash. Adjust if needed, then go another couple hundred and check it again. At that point you can set the lash a bit tighter, minimum is .002inch. I have mine set at .002 intake and .003 exhaust currently. In the hotter months I go to .003 intake and .004 exhaust
The other reason to do the valve clearances right away has to do with the exhaust valve and seat. The exhaust valve is heated by a wind of 700 degrees on its way out of the cylinder. Its major cooling is the period it is in firm contact with the valve seat. That is why it is imperitive to adjust the valves right away. .....ARH