Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-07-2017, 08:32 AM   #1

Hawk 250 Pannier Racks

Got a happy new tool (toy...same thing) for the shop last night. A pipe bender!

Not bad for $150 off fleabay, but it is exactly what I needed for building one of the most ambitious farkles for our Hawks...pannier racks.

I took inspiration from for the idea, where to mount and how. Mine will be more complex and made out of 1/2" carbon steel tubing. We bent the pannier supports last night and I'm really happy with how the tool performs. We may have to move it to have the space for the more complex bends to come.

At first I wanted to make just simple loops connected by welded stringers to a top rack, much like a lot of designs I've seen. But talking with E about the design and some appropriate and *ahem* inappropriate sketches of bat-winged dicks later (dont ask) we had a more finalized design. There will be a top rack that connects down low at the passenger pegs, then the pannier supports welded to that rack and supported with stringers to each other and the top rack. I don't have a super clear picture of our sketches for this description but I will post more pictures as we make progress. This design is nice in that you still get the pannier supports as well as a place for a passenger if needed, rather than a giant rack over the seat, reducing the usefulness of the bike and making maintenance more complicated.

More to come, stay tuned!