Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-08-2017, 10:01 PM   #1

Apollo 250 SMOG/Emissions Control Delete

This past weekend. I made some more changes to the apollo, I wanted to get the pictures up in case anyone was interested. Here is a list of what I did.

* Removed Cat from header pipe. I didn't really care to make it look pretty so I used the tried and true method of cutting the pipe in half right before the bulge and drilled and chiseled it out. This took longer than I initially anticipated, that sucker was glued in with some pretty strong adhesive. As you can see in the pics, it had to be restricting at least 50% of the exhaust air flow. I then had it welded back together using the heat shield installed to keep it lined up.

* Removed all of the Smog crap that I later found out was called the SAIS (secondary air injection system) cali / EPA crap. Cut the head vent off and had a buddy weld the hole shut into a plate as Slayder described doing with his.

* I ended up removing the stock oil/air separator (I think that's what it's called) that's connected to the crankcase vent. I plan on either running a new hose with a K&N vent filter on the end out of the way somewhere, replacing the stock setup or just running a new hose straight towards the ground but I worry about debris getting sucked in with that method... and thoughts?

The next move will be re-gearing it and replacing the stock chain with one that's a little beefier. Mine came stock with a 14 Tooth front Sprocket and a 38 Tooth in the rear. Nowhere near the low end power that I want and plenty of top end speed so I know I can sacrifice a good bit of that for low end grunt. I have already acquired a new chain and 12 Tooth front Sprocket and am waiting on a custom rear Sprocket that I ordered from Kim with PMP sprockets in Texas. I had a hell of a time trying to find a rear sprocket that had more than one measurement the same as my stock rear Sprocket in 530 pitch, let alone a 48 Tooth. I ended up taking the measurements of mine and ordering a custom one. It was a little more than I was hoping to spend on a single sprocket for this bike but I'm hoping it works and gives me the power characteristics that I desire.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3456.jpg (81.1 KB, 1592 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3442.jpg (82.1 KB, 1542 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3535.jpg (92.4 KB, 1500 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3540.jpg (93.9 KB, 1554 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3547.jpg (91.9 KB, 1647 views)

Tags
apollo 250, cat removal, emissions control, epa