Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-09-2016, 02:45 PM   #1

Moto camping setup

Since I want to do a bunch of moto camping next year and beyond, I've been reading, researching and purchasing what I'll need. Next year my planned long trip is the Washington Backcountry Discovery Route. 8 days total. In 2018 I plan on taking the Alaska ferry up to Wittier and then riding to Anchorage and then up to Prudhoe Bay and then back down to Seattle. I have all my gear now and with everything that would go on the bike (Tools, clothing, camping gear, food, water) the weight was adding up quick. Like 120 pounds worth. I want to keep the weight as low as possible but also bring some of it up front in a safe manor thus I have put on the two Agri supply tool tubes low on the bike that I've posted pictures of before. In those tubes I have most of my tools and an MSR Fuel bottle. I upgraded to the Tourfella luggage and in the panniers I have my heavy stuff. I built straps that also work as handles on top of each of the pieces of luggage so I can put on dry bags that will hold soft items. The top case will contain my sleeping gear. In the pillion dry bag I will have my tent in a dry bag that contains inside it a small dry bag for the rain fly...so I don't get the rest of the tent wet. Up front I put an expandable tank bag and I found a sale at Pet and Horse for some saddle bags ($13 + shipping) that I have put up front as panniers. In those I plan to put other softer items like clothing, jackets, etc so nothing gets broken in a crash. The tank bag will hold items I want quick access to. I did a dry run of putting everything on the bike...including me and it was an extra 260 pounds on top of the bikes base weight. The bike is rated for 330 pounds of extra load. If I add the fact that I have other farkles on the bike like the skid plate and stuff I feel like I'm pretty much at the top end of what I can carry but I also feel I have everything accounted for. My wife is going to help me with some sag measurements so I can adjust the rear suspension when holding this load.

Since I've never done any moto camping I wanted to get the opinion and suggestions of the group on this type of setup.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5422.jpg (96.8 KB, 404 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5423.jpg (97.5 KB, 386 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5424.jpg (96.5 KB, 365 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5425.jpg (96.2 KB, 357 views)

Tags
adv, camping, touring