Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-06-2016, 05:56 PM   #1

One Year Anniversary

Last year my early Christmas present was a new Zongshen RX3.

I had been following the thread on ADVrider for months and the "free shipping" offer pushed me over the edge.

It's been a year of ups and downs.

The excitement and anticipation of unloading/unpacking the crate:

Later same day, on my first ride, the bike stalled in the middle of a busy intersection and would not restart.

With cars speeding by, I managed to push the bike through the intersection and to the side of the road.

After a short prayer, giving thanks that I hadn't ended up as road kill, I pushed the starter button, and the bike started up.

Ever since, the RX3 has started up on the first push of the button.

Over the next few weeks, I did the "run-in, read the Owner's Manual, and watched all the on-line maintenance videos.

I learned to do oil changes:

And valve clearance checks:

I didn't take long to realize I needed to do some thing about the rear suspension.

Days were spent riding back and forth on the same stretch of rough road.

Adjusted the sag several times, and played with the damping adjustment over and over...small adjustments make a big difference.

Finally, I was able to find settings that didn't jar my backbone on every bump.

I spent many days riding rural Florida roads.

About the 3,000 mile mark, I started hearing a metal tapping noise coming from the engine. It may have started earlier, but my hearing is not good, and I wear earplugs when riding.

I took the bike to the two local independent motorcycle shops in town to let their mechanics take a listen. They agreed that there was something wrong, but didn't know what.....and they wouldn't agree to work on the bike.

After a few emails, and talking to Gerry on the phone, I decided to ship the bike back to CSC.

The problem turned out to be a damaged cam shaft and related parts......

.....caused by ME, and not covered by the warranty. The exhaust valve clearance had gone to zero and caused the damage.

The bike never exhibited any signs of closed valve clearances. It always started right up and ran with full power.

Nevertheless, CSC (Steve Seidner) graciously covered the repair under their "Good Will Policy".

A couple of weeks later I was back on the road.

For two months the RX3 lived in North Carolina.

This is where the RX3 really shines. On the curvy roads and through the many changes in elevation, the bike clings to the road.

It is really well-balanced, and handles paved roads better that my DR650 or XT250.

Off road, the DR and XT are preferred, due mainly to their suspension.

During those 2 months, I rode the DR650 only twice.

IMO, the mountains are the ideal environment for the RX3.

I decided to trailer the RX3 back to Florida for one more try at the land of flat and straight.

I still ride it regularly. 8,400 miles on the odometer.

The bike is comfortable for me riding at 55-60 mph.

I'm still a bit nervous pulling into fast moving traffic, and I keep an eye on the mirror to let faster traffic go by:

One year.

Nine oil changes, 6 valve checks (I'm due again). All weren't required. Mostly self induced.

A few accessories:

wrap-around hand guards
handlebar risers
mirrors
narrow seat
lowering link
center stand
lighter and USB ports
Progressive shock
tank bag and mount
19" front wheel
battery charger pigtail
GPS mount

It hasn't exactly been inexpensive.

I've decided that the RX3 needs to return to the mountains in the Spring and stay where it is best suited.

But I am undecided as what to do long term. I already have two bikes in NC that sit unused for 9 or 10 months...don't know if I need three.

The RX3 fits me better than any other bike I have ridden. If it had 10 more horsepower/torque, there would be no question as to which to keep.

For now I'll keep riding it, but if I get an offer I can't refuse, the RX3 may find a new home.

....and now it has to share riding time with this year's Christmas present....

jb