Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-20-2016, 02:31 PM   #11

So yesterday was a beautifully sunshiny day and with the resent coastal storms and more rain scheduled for today I told the boss to shove it and went for a ride yesterday. Being self-annoyed I do that probably too much. Figured it would be a "last hurrah ride" before it turns to cold. Went about 75 miles total and as far as I was concerned I could of been riding the Dalton or Serengeti in my mind. This was for therapy, why I have ridden since I was a kid. Just get out and go to someplace to explore, bring back the excitement and freshness of the day I thru my leg over my first motorcycle. A Hodaka ace 100. Left GPS, panniers, crash bars home so I would have to behave myself and not get to frisky on the gravel roads I planned to ride. Also I was by myself with no one to help pick me up or call 911. Stopped at the local convenient store and got a sweet tea and a ice cream cookie. True survival food for the adventurer.
There is this gravel road that for 50+ years I have driven by on the main highway and I've always wondered where it went. Well yesterday was THE DAY. I road it and several other connecting roads making a circuit around the valley I have lived in all my life ending up winding my way back to the farm I grew up on that brother still farms . The road basically was a rural gravel road with ups and downs and twisties through the wheat fields of this area.
The RX3 was perfect for this, hauled me down the highway to the gravel road then all over the gravel roads and back home. To me this was more of an adrenalin rush then some of my longer camping trips or doing the Iron Butt. Cause it was unscheduled and I was being naughty for skipping work.
This was one time in life where I was in control of things and everything from the bike to the ride was superb and went as expected even thou the scenery was ...............well just dirt fields. I did see a group of maybe 6-8 horses in a pasture and imagined being down on the African plains watching a bunch of gazelles. And heading down a straight part of gravel road with ups and downs I imagined I was running along the pipeline headed to the Artic.

View of the Walla Walla valley I grew up in

I had FUN, the bike was FUN, the scenery was way better then looking at the walls of my dungeon. I escaped, if only for a few hours. rj