Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-24-2016, 09:16 PM   #1

Macguyverin'

While I was spending two weeks in Maine, I learned that my wife's Audi began to sing the song of its' people, also known as the "Car Alarm Song", to my entire neighborhood, until it's battery died. It made me very popular.

I put the battery on the charger for a few hours, hooked it back up and the car went into another stirring rendition of beeping horn and flashing lights then shut off. For five minutes. Then started again. Then stopped. Again and again and again. So I plugged in the VAG-COM (Audi/VW specific OBDII reader)and start checking for codes. Everything is good until I get to the last item in the program which is 'Central Convenience', or something like that. Anyway, of 13 possible trouble codes, I had them all. Basically, it was telling me that all the doors, trunk, and hood were unlocked and open even though all were closed and locked.

A little research on Google showed that this is not a uncommon occurrence in older Audis and VWs (ours is an 02), caused by failing batteries in an alarm module that is located in the truck. Research also showed that, A) replacement batteries are no longer available, B) an updated module from Audi is in the neighborhood of $300, and C) resourceful people have found a work around. I like C.

So, after a trip to Batteries Plus for a $40 custom built 7.2v NI-MH battery pack to replace the two unobtainable 3.6v NI-MH button cells, some zip ties, JB Weld, a spare Weatherpack plug and a couple hours of my time...

The Audi is no longer serenading the neighborhood.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts