Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-20-2016, 02:23 PM   #1

Custom Trunk + Saddlebag Mounting Plate for Hawk 250

Hey folks. It just so happens that I'm a welder, and I've also got moderate 3D design skills in AutoCAD. I'm wanting a trunk for my new Hawk 250, so I'm thinking about mocking up a design that I can have laser / plasma cut and then assemble to securely mount not only a trunk, but also some hard saddlebags.

I'm imagining something along the lines of the BMW photo here.

Questions:
  1. If I design this sucker and go to the trouble of getting it cut and all that, would anyone else be interested in one as well?
  2. Anyone have suggestions on the actual bags / trunk I should consider to go with this little mounting plate?

My Hawk is black, so my preference would be to stick with the theme and go with black accessories. I would also likely powdercoat the mounting plate black for durability. Oh, and I'm thinking the trunk would have a padded backrest in case I ever threw my tiny wife on the bike with me for a short jaunt.

I'm thinking of fabing up something made from 1/8" steel sheet, but in a super strong / lightweight mesh sort of design. It would be extremely rigid and the bags on each side could just kind of bolt on at the top via the sides or something.

Another option would be to fabricate a sort of carrier "basket" that would accept some sort of container being dropped into it. Kinda like a jeep gas can holder.

Anyway, any thoughts?

2016 Hawk 250 - Black
All my mods are documented on my Blog!

My Blog | Google+ | Twitter | Facebook