Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-29-2016, 07:01 PM   #1

Hawk Valve Clearance

I saw this on the TT250 thread and thought I'd copy this here, since for all intents and purposes, it's identical for the Hawk. I just did this myself last weekend and couldn't summarize the steps any better:

http://californiascooterco.com/blog/?p=19832

I would suggest skipping the seat and gas tank removal on the Hawk. There's enough clearance after removing the front trim pieces to access and remove the valve cover as well as get to the gaps themselves.

I remember that someone else posted here that there was no valve clearance at all on his Hawk when he first opened it up - same for mine. Had to loosen and back off the adjuster to create it. Now it sounds like it should - got that soft, light clicking going on.

The article does a nice job explaining why too little gap is bad thing over time, so if these are shipping here with no gap to start, it's a good thing to check during break-in. It's recommended in the first round of maintenance in the owner's manual. Since CSC put together a really nice write-up for pretty much any 229cc engine, that helps to make it a pretty easy thing to check during that first oil change. It's a 30 minute to an hour job tops.