Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-13-2015, 08:36 PM   #1

Experimenting with a different muffler

I wanted to look at free-flow muffler options that might work for the RX3. I looked for mufflers for a mainstream model and decided that the CBR250R would be our best bet. it's dimensionally closest to our engine... a single piston, 249.xx cc engine. The bore and stroke are slightly different, but not too different to make a huge difference. I knew none of the mounting solutions would work, so I didn't worry about that, so I focused on sound. I decided I liked the Akrapovic the best and I got lucky on a great deal on one on EvilBay.

Dimensions of the stock vs Akrapovic are very, very similar. Overall length roughly 17.5 each for both, length of can (weld to weld on the muffler can) of 14.5". The Akrapovic is a bit wider... about 4.5" wide vs. the 3.5" width of the stock can. The stock exhaust uses a 1.5" diameter exhaust pipe. The Akrapovic uses a 1.75" pipe, but the kit includes a 1/8" thick ring to reduce down to 1.5" inside diameter. I was a little surprised to weigh the Akrapovic on a bath scale (marginal accuracy) and it came out to 3.5 pounds. The stock muffler is 10 pounds

I'll have to get some flat aluminum sheet and spacers to make a mounting bracket for the Akrapovic muffler. And I'll need an muffler shop to extend the mid-pipe so it can mate-up with the stock RX3 header pipe. Not sure I can get that all done this weekend, but will update as I am able.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Akrapovic muffler.jpg (80.9 KB, 292 views)
File Type: jpg Akrapovic vs stock.jpg (37.1 KB, 315 views)