Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-07-2015, 06:54 PM   #1

Adjustable Sidestand

Well since I live in a third world country and my selection of stuff is limited, when I wanted to change the rear tire I could only find a 140/80-17 tire; this is about 3/4" taller than OEM so the bike leans much more when using the side stand. Plus the side stand foot is a bit small for many instances, sand, mud.

I'm hoping to find a 4.60 - 17 rear tire someday and was thinking that if I extend the sidestand then it will be too long for a lower tire...

I recently located a new Machine Shop, it's owned by a Spaniard that moved here 6 years ago from South Africa where he had a professional shop for 45 years, brought most of his professional equipment, and amazing array of equipment, like nothing else I've seen here and he's great at understanding what I want to do.

SO... With the current taller tire and the possibility of a lower tire in the future, I decided to make an adjustable side stand and add a larger foot.

I got a 16mm bolt, he cut it, tapper the upper section, inserted the the bolt and then drilled a small hole in the back and pinned it so it wont move. Then tapped the lower section and added a locking nut; I can now extend or shorten the sidestand to meet what ever tire size I may have up the road.

Oh, Juan made the comment “this steel is very hard, very hard”, must have said that at least four times; Zongshen is using quality steel in this case (three hundred and seventeen thousand years from now some five year old kid playing in his back yard is going to un-earth one of these and everyone's going to saying “wow, wonder what they used this for”). High quality sidestand and sub-standard headlight switch that only lasted three months...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015-10-06 14.21.31.jpg (94.1 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg 2015-10-06 14.22.27.jpg (96.3 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg 2015-10-06 09.30.16.jpg (100.3 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg 2015-10-06 14.23.52.jpg (98.9 KB, 166 views)
www.medicalmissionmatters.org