Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-03-2015, 03:12 PM   #1

Trans American Trail

Hey everyone! I do not have an RX-3 yet, but am shopping and will be buying (something) in about a month.

A buddy and I are looking at doing the TAT (Trans American Trail) in a year or so. MOST of my riding is likely going to be street, but I do want this "ADV" machine that I get to be fully capable of doing the TAT. I have zero off road experience outside a few times hitting gravel (and two logging roads) on my EX-500 over 10 years ago. My buddy is going to do it in his WR250X, which is the super moto version, and yes, he wants to do it in sumo form too. He is very experienced in dirt. I do not plan to go fast on the TAT, but I'm curious how the RX-3 would fare.

Based on this and the looks (plus GREAT prices from CSC) I may order the 19" front set and the 13Tooth sprocket (all the local off road stuff is very rocky and quite steep, so I'd be slow and don't want to kill a clutch) with my initial order.

I have discussed this with SPUD, but the other bike on my list is the CRF250L, but I am leaning toward the RX-3 as its more of what I want, just need to be sure it can DO what I want. We all want to think we are at least 50/50, but given most of the roads around are paved and I will use this bike for other things such as commuting and all (will be a stable mate to my VFR800) I'll likely be 80/20 for most of my stuff, and I think around 40% of the TAT is actually paved.

Thoughts are welcome! Thanks!

Off topic: anyone located anywhere around Boone, NC or within a ride from there that wouldn't mind me looking at and sitting on your RX-3? I had can't do most ADV bikes due to size and weight creating some problems, and really want to at least sit on one in person before I buy.

Tags
crf250l, tat