Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-03-2014, 10:52 PM   #1

Zongshen Sierra Stator/CDI/not running

Hello! Haven't been here for a while due to motorcycle being non functional. Finally, I was able to get the bike over to my friend's house (mechanic) for a good look over & have valves adjusted. Main issue I'm having is that the motorcycle won't start at all. I had it running twice recently for a fraction of a second, but then it would instantly die.

After 6 grueling hours going through whole system with a fine toothed comb, he has seem to have located the following issues:

1. Took the cover off where the stator is, a small amount of oil came out. Is this normal? I have read conflicting information ranging from oil being a major issue to stator should be in an oil bath. Friend seems to think that the small amount we found was not alarming but should raise slight concern. I have ordered a new part (stator) off tabaotrends, worst case I'll have a spare for the future.

2. When testing wires coming from CDI, he seemingly found a fried wire. I forget exactly which one (I want to say the black and white one) which was not sending power to stator and therefore not starting bike. He plans on replacing the wire completely, and I have also purchased 2 spare CDI units. I have 3 already, however they were all testing VERY low power, so I'm assuming they are all dead. (CDI wiring chart was EXTREMELY HELPFUL in diagnosing this issue, so a huge THANKS for that.)

Next things we plan on doing is replacing bad wire, testing with new CDI, possibly replacing stator, using ignition tester to check ignition system, etc etc etc. Originally I believed that the issue was primarily top end based (needing to be rebuilt), but after our findings yesterday & the fact engine sounds very strong, we are going to hold off on that for now. Other things I ordered from Tabao are extra air filters, clutch cable, & complete gasket set, in addition to the stator and 2 CDIs. I do plan on ordering some other parts, however I wanted to hold off until I can actually get motorcycle to run again.

All in all, hopefully this is at least a start, if not solves issues completely. Has anyone else ever experienced these issues? I read a lot of the other posts and it seems like people have either one issue or the other, but not both at the same time. Any suggestions or advice would be awesome & thanks for your time!!