Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-08-2013, 03:19 PM   #1

My 09 Lifan LF200 GY-5 restore thread

Hello CR, this will be my restore thread for my 09 gy5. It was my brothers originally and we used it for trail riding and for his class m road test. We lost the plate in the trails somewhere and parked the bike. He moved and it sat for a while. Well my motorcycle itch has sprung and I figured if it's there I might as well get it back into shape. It's going to need a little work but hopefully I can return it to its road legal glory within a month or so.

That was yesterday exactly how it sat for 2 years. Quite an eyesore if you ask me. The amazing paint job was really a bad idea in hindsight.

Last night I removed the gauges and deoxydized them with some toothpaste and a rag. It came out pretty good in my opinion.

I removed the brake light assembly to see how it mounts up so I can look into integrated tail lights.

I also saw my brake master cylinder had corroded away from the fluid sitting for so long.

The throttle assembly broke on the last ride we took it on so I'm looking into a universal control with some new grips. I think the aftermarket Honda XR grips should fit. I need a new cable too, and the only ones I saw on eBay are for the pit bikes. Anyone know if these are interchangable?

I'd like to put a new air filter kit on it because I'm missing half the casing for mine. My filter is falling apart too.

Pretty much my list of parts that I need so far goes as following..
New headlight with integrated blinkers. I like the sleek look..possibly these guys?
New brake master cylinder. Hopefully Wild_Alaskan has that
New integrated tail light. I'm thinking these
Side body plastics, unless I have mine put away somewhere?
I'd like to change my gear ratio for highway use because I want to take a 600+ mile trip up to Maine this summer. I'm kind of clueless on gear ratios. I was reading the FAQ earlier.
I need a new front mud guard. Are aftermarket XR200 guards comparable?
I need new mirrors.
I'd like to find a new seat too.
I also need a new battery but Wal-Mart should solve that.

Welp that pretty much sums it up. I'm guessing I'll dump around $300 into this thing give or take. Ive been looking at Hooper Imports but it seems like 80% of their stuff is sold out. If anyone knows any other sites I would be very grateful. All knowledge shared is appreciated.

And just for fun, here's my other toy.

That should explain my username.