Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-30-2012, 09:59 AM   #1

My new WR250X

As some of you know, I had a 2002 SV650S that was my baby, but I grew up on dirt bikes and from the moment I saw my first DRZ400SM in 2005 at a local dealer I was in love with supermoto. Last year I bought a Qlink XF200 for really cheap, to see how I liked the supermoto style for my daily driving. It was not a bad bike, but not really a good one, either. I had a lot of fun on it, though. I finally came to the realization that the SV was just not doing it for me anymore, so I posted it on craigs list and within a week I had a buyer. Then I started looking at what I might buy to replace it, and found a KTM 625 for sale. So I put the XF up for sale, and within 2 days I had a buyer for that. Of course the KTM was sold by the time I had my money in order, but I found something that I liked even better.

I have always loved the WR250x. Modern technology, fuel injection, six-speed, and really good looks. I had a 2006 CRF250R that I use to play in the dirt, and really like the size of the 250. I frequently checked the listings for the WRx, but they were very rare to see any for sale near me. But I found a really clean one local with some nice mods for a good price, and couldn't be happier.

Buying a used bike is sometimes a crap shoot, but here is what I can see:
2008 Yamaha WR250x - 2800 miles at time of purchase
FMF Q4 pipe
Airbox flapper screwed down
K&N air filter
FMF power programmer
45 tooth rear sprocket
Speedo-healer
Rear fender kit, not sure which, but looks nice
Mirrors with integrated turn signals, not sure what brand
ProTaper handle bars
Gel insert in the seat
I think it has stock tires, which are nearing the end of their life

The FMF programmer was all screwed up, not sure what he was thinking. The bike would randomly cut out while cruising. After much research, I fixed the mapping a little and it runs much better now, very smooth and pulls really well for a 250. The FMF pipe is L O U D but I sort of like it. I have the stock exhaust, and was considering putting it on there, but not sure if I will or not. I am loving this little bike, so much fun!

I can't really compare it to the XF, it is on a whole different level in terms of smoothness, comfort, suspension, power, etc. I had fun on the XF, and hope its new owner does too, but this WRx is just awesome and I am really happy to have it.