Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-27-2012, 11:21 PM   #23

Hey Weld!

I've been around, I just didn't have anything to say that hadn't already been said better...

The quads are a whole 'nother post... Probably bore everyone to death.

Suddenly there was a post I could be at least somewhat helpful in!

But back to the subject at hand, had a previous owner stuck a stock piston in an oversized hole, you would hear it. It would evidence itself as piston slap-- That much would sound like a collapsed lifter in an old Oldsmobile.

But even before that, it would be a real pain in the sphinkter to start.

My reasoning being-- compression means nothing to an old Smoker. Well, not much at least. What is critical is vacuum. I.e. the rings have to be able to seal well enough to a: draw fuel into the crankcase, and then b: seal well enough to force it over the transfer ports. Oversized holes and ruined piston/rings usually first manifest in a bike that is a bear to start. They just can't draw and transfer a wet enough mixture with the kicker to light up. Sometimes electro-start would help cover a worn engine, but not a kick-only horse.

Sometimes on really old dollies, we would push them around in gear at speed, just to generate enough vac to light up.

With some attention to detail, outer crank bearings can be changes with the help of your deep freeze, and your oven. It's the centre bearing that's a real bear.

In my experience, it's almost always the drive-side bearing. A lot of old dollies were double bearings on the drive side to handle the load created by the primary drive. I don't think I ever saw a gen. side bearing barf, except from rust pitting, etc.

Regardless, with the way that piston grenaded, the crankcase should really come apart to clean it out properly. I lot have guys have tried rinsing them out with WD40, etc, but I am paranoid about little bits of aluminum floating around in there, borking up the cylendar bore, piston skirts, etc.

Wow, that's 2 really, really long posts, only vaguely related to the subject material at hand! My bad!

--Vince
(Who always wanted an old TS!)