Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-11-2012, 01:23 AM   #11

I got an opportunity to work on my little TW today, so I dismantled the very dirty carb and cleaned it. The jets are currently soaking in carb cleaner, so we'll see if they clean up properly.

I also worked on the cracked side cover. I checked on a TW forum, and it seems to be a common by-product when the chain breaks. Those guys had the same idea I had, which is to hog out the broken area and bolt it back on. I figure that I'll be able to use the hole to my advantage, in that I'll be able to blast in there with a pressure washer.

I needed to establish just how far the damage extended, and I needed to retain the webbing that supports the bearing. I thoroughly cleaned the cover and then protected the bearing and oil feed hole with Gorilla tape. I drilled some small holes from the back side of the cover, which helped me understand the perimeter damage. I then roughly drew out the area with a Sharpie, and began to trim with a fake Dremel.

Here's what I started with:

Here's the final product after working the edges with a sanding roll:

It's not as nice as some of the examples on the TW200 forum, but I think that the damage on my side cover was more extensive. Oh well. Another step behind me.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer