Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-05-2011, 09:23 AM   #1

Bought used 200cc no-name atv...needs work...suggestions?

Hi ya folks!

So here's the deal, I just bought a no-name 200cc quad from a guy for considerably under $500, and I'm overall happy with it as my first atv, and of course, a project in the making.

Of course for such a steal, there's also some issues with it. I'm just praying the guy told me the truth when he sold it to me, and everything seems to pan out. It's got no name on it, and the only lettering thus far I've found on it, is that the carb is by "Taotao", as I've seen on several of these chinese quads. My quad looks nearly identical to this one on the front end: http://www.diytrade.com/china/4/prod...ports_ATV.html It has the same headlight construction and everything.

When I bought it, it didn't run. I know, I know...never buy anything unless you hear it run and operate first. But like I said, for the price even if it was a piece of junk and didn't run, I could part it out and make back twice my money; it has new tires, battery, piston/rings, chain, stator, plug, plug wire, rear brakes, etc. The main issue with this quad, as told to me by the guy I bought it from, is the CDI. According to the story, he was riding it and something flew up and cracked his CDI box (and it was definitely cracked when he showed it to me), and it was also in water, so it fried the CDI, thusly not allowing it to start.

The quad has compression and will turn over, and is getting fuel through the carb, so I konw those things shouldn't be an issue. The crappiest part of the whole thing really, is it has an automatic 4/5 speed tranny (w/ reverse). I would have hoped for a 5 speed foot shifting clutchless manual, but oh well...it's my first quad.

So here's the thing, I have a performance CDI ordered (only $18.55), and I have a few questions about that first off.

Does anyone have any preference as to a stock CDI or a performance one? I know with my S10 truck, many folks like putting the hotter burning plugs in them, so they're more peppy, but I won't do so because of the risks involved with the engine wear and soforth. Is it the same way with these quads, or not at all the same due to the CDI being ingnition-related? Does anyone that has used a performance CDI notice any significant difference?

Anyways, while I wait for that part to come in, I'm also looking for other things I need to replace. Luckily, I found a ton of parts (little stuff) I need, for really cheap, but I'm waiting to get it all until I make sure this thing will run after the CDI is changed (why waste good money on stuff that won't help it get back on the road, if I can't get it running to start with?).

Next, I have some questions about the other parts I am going to order. My left handlebar controls and right controls are going to definitely need replacing...luckily, at $34.95 for the throttle/right brake lever control and $15 for the left choke/lights/starter button control, that won't be a big deal. My choke lever is completely broke off and the guy rigged up a wire that's tied to the handlebar's center and then to the carb, so I wanna change that, lol. My brake lever is completely broke off as well (and the rear brake is foot pedal only, as far as I can tell). My question here is this...on the right brake lever controls, there are several wires/cables going to it, and I'm not sure what one does. I know the two cables are for the front left and front right brakes, as I traced them to each wheel. There is a third cable running to the throttle control. Lastly, and most confusingly, there is this plastic-coated wire or wires that is connected to the control box. It appears to have been broken off, and I don't know what it goes to. I'll try to explain as best I can and will get pictures of it asap so as to show more detail. It has on the outer most end, which appears to be broken off, this white trigger-like button in the center of a black hard plastic coating, which is spring loaded inside. I don't know if this somehow works with the throttle, or braking system, or neither, and does something else. It's untelling at this point, and I've attempted to trace the wiring down under the body of the quad, but as far as I got was that it branches off in two directions, and goes one way to the ignition key switch, and the other branch leads to idk where.

Any ideas on that? I'm absolutely clueless and don't really want to screw something up trying to repair this without advice from you guys who probably know tons more than I do on the subject. Oh, also, on the throttle control...it looks like the cable to the throttle is hooked on internally...does this mean I'll have to replace the cable and throttle controls together, and cannot salvage my throttle cable that's still in good shape? My brake cables look fine, and the only other cable I'll be buying is the choke cable (as it has been long gone with the "mods" the previous owner did).

Thanks in advance for any/all advice you all have to offer! I'll eagerly await your responses! God Bless! :-)