Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-10-2017, 09:06 PM   #1

Hawk at Big Bend National Park

Hey – been a while since I posted. I got my Hawk back in 11/15, and I had intended to use it this past year on my deer lease in West Texas, getting in/out of some of the more rugged areas. Well, for one reason or another, I wasn’t able to get it out there, and I’ve been getting tired of the little BBQ runs around town. So . . . I saw how nice the weather was going to be this week, and I took it out to Big Bend National Park to beat up on it.

There are plenty of great 4x4 roads out there, but one in particular is unmaintained – Black Gap Road – it’s 8 miles or so of fun. I didn’t film anything, but there are some YouTube videos that show it. Let me just say I haven’t done anything as remotely technical since Reagan was president. Somehow the old brain neurons managed to recall those long forgotten reflexes and kept me from eating it on more than a couple of occasions.

My bike remains basically stock except for a 17T front. I have to say that sprocket change dialed in 2nd gear. Great range, only popped it down to 1st and up to 3rd a handful of times, with most everything else handled with enough torque and response to push through all of it.

Overall, I’m still amazed at the overall value of the Hawk. I did over a hundred miles on the back country 4x4 roads, as well as some pavement throughout the park, and it ran like a top the whole time. If anything, I think I took more of a beating than it did. Fun couple of days.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cr_1.jpg (100.8 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg cr_2.jpg (98.1 KB, 183 views)
File Type: jpg cr_3.jpg (98.7 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg cr_4.jpg (98.3 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg cr_5.jpg (98.0 KB, 179 views)