Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Registration Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2010, 12:23 AM   #1

Chinese dual-sport registrations in BC

I had brought this up in an old topic, and it seems to be relevant still...
Quote:
When I was browsing on the TC website I noticed they had a notice out to CVSE about Chinese Bikes being imported as RUM (restricted use motorcycles) and then registered for street use. Indeed this seems to have been the case for both Lifan bikes I owned, and many of the other, cheaper brands such as X-Rage. I don't believe this affects bikes that are already registered, but it does the sale of new ones. It can be read here.

http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/CVSE/vehicle...otorcycles.pdf

From what I understand Saga and Konker are the only ones currently in Canada with all of the proper approvals?

(Of course off-road vehicles such as an atv or pure dirt bike this probably does not affect)
Now I just read a post on Craigslist indicating that this will affect bikes already registered... Not sure how accurate it is...

http://abbotsford.en.craigslist.ca/mcy/1615036658.html
Quote:
as of June,any dirt bike that has been registered for road use with just a BC motorcycle inspection will not be allowed on the street,if it doesn't have the transport Canada approved rating tag or sticker on it from new,if your bike was purpose built for off road only,IE RUM bikes, icbc is pulling the plates,it cannot re inspected to be put back on the road, due to the manufacture is claiming it off road only,

so be careful buying bikes that are currently street legal,if its not purpose built its not gonna be on the street long,

so alot of people are gonna be flogging these bikes so be careful what your buying them for.

you can say bull**** to this,they cant pull my plates, but your wrong ,icbc is taking the stance its too much risk for them to allow bikes not purposely built for the street,and you know icbc they will not put themself at a higher risk

Old 02-24-2010, 12:34 AM   #2

Don't take this the wrong way, but it seems as if Canada has the Big Government thing worse that the US! Many regualtaions, restrictions, and seemingly nonsense going on. Heck, you might be up there with the Kalifornians in some ways.

Again, don't get me wrong, you've got an awesome country, but someof this big government stuff must make you all nuts. We are on the same road for sure...

Old 02-24-2010, 12:48 AM   #3

Don't worry, didn't come across the wrong way... I do love my country, often I'm really not fond of the government though...

Anyways, if it is the case, this could impact some of our members I'm sure, as well as a lot of China Riders who aren't members of the site, but do have RUM bikes registered for street use... I don't have either of my Lifan's anymore, but they were both RUM inspected and registered for street use. One has been sold a couple times since, the other I'm not sure.

Or it could be misinformation, attempting to impact the market price of used bikes... I guess we might see what happens in June...

Old 02-24-2010, 02:04 AM   #4

The truth is that the Kalifornia thing varies from province to province (just as it does in the States). Alberta is considerably more right wing and less restrictive.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-24-2010, 09:29 PM   #5

Thank you for posting the valuable information, Jim. I am definitely not a fan of big government. :evil: Fortunately, getting a motorcycle street legal in Idaho is a very easy process.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 02-25-2010, 10:09 AM   #6

There was a bunch of people in GA registering converted dirt bikes. Same thing happened and they got tags pulled.

I really don't like the government worrying about my safety. I can do that on my own.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
There was a bunch of people in GA registering converted dirt bikes. Same thing happened and they got tags pulled.

I really don't like the government worrying about my safety. I can do that on my own.
Copy that. When our founding fathers put their lives on the line to create our nation, and when countless veterans risked and lost their lives to defend our nation, I don't think such idiotic micromanagement was on their agenda.

Old 02-25-2010, 03:34 PM   #8

Hey guys

I know alot about this subject so bear with me as I try to shed light on it.Bear in mind also I am a avid china bike rider and also have a RUM marked bike that I want badly to register.

Companys like Saga and Konker sale bike that are marked "Motorcycle" and pay out the moneys to have it CMVSS certified.An example of this that the SAGA 250 enduro has a Arcibis head lamp assembley on it because they could not meet CMVSS with the ones that the amnufaturer had. Other importer just import the bikes the cheapest way possible and thats most likely the RUM desig. If there is no desegnation it won't meet CMVSS and it's a no go in Canada.
When a bike is CMVSS ceritfied is meets all the rules of the CMVSS and thus is compliant with the BC MVAR and PVIP.

I don't think that any of this is an attack on "china bikes" at all. An example of it in the past is people plating KTM enduros in BC that are off road bikes.My GY7 shineray looks 100% road legal until I looked closer...the lenses are not dot rated, the head lamp is not Dot rated or marked.I would love to change the lenses and register it too.
Any machine can meet CMVSS if they spend the money....Part of the problem is the importers trying to get the lowest prices to maximize profits.Why do you thinka saga or konker is 2800$$ price range.

As for BC CVSE and ICBC going after the inspected machines...I don't have a strait awnser yet...BUT I will get it.I have not found anything official that says that yet.If I do I will post it.Any thing on Craigs list is not to be taken as the truth....A lot of that crap is slag to hose other dealers

ICBC will no longer accept any new registration applications for restricted use motorcycles. I don't see wher eit says they are chasing th eold ones down...just drawing the line on it.

Old 02-25-2010, 03:45 PM   #9

Kens, thanks for the reply... Yeah like I said, the post on craigslist isn't confirmed, but could impact a lot of China Riders if it does become true, because I think the majority of the bikes were imported as RUM. I wonder if the scooters have the same designations?

The CVSE is cracking down on inspection facilities at least, or at least they are indicating that they are on their website as posted in the bulletin.

It may not only be about the Chinese RUM bikes, but I'm guessing the number of them is what prompted the crack down?

Old 02-25-2010, 04:02 PM   #10

Jim

I don't see anywhere in the CVSE bulletin where it specifys china bikes out?
I'm sure thay are all imported as RUM to save money..heck the importrs don't care about you after you buy the bike...thanks for your bucks and see ya!!

Old 02-25-2010, 04:10 PM   #11

Kens you're right, I'm sorry I didn't recently read the bulletin, I was going off of memory.

Old 02-26-2010, 06:40 AM   #12

Ken pretty much summed it up! Transport Canada and the governing bodies of EPA are looking into not only the quality of the unit but the safety aspect for both the consumer and the enviroment. The government informed all importers that there will be strict enforcement 2 years ago...kind of giving the importers a heads up that this is coming down the pipe. Guess what ....get your bucket ready because its here!

I read the comments on here about how the units are "Overpriced" and I understand how they would think that because they are the consumer not the importer. They have no idea what is involved in importing a product directly from the manufacturer and are quick to judge the importer is making the extra dough when in fact that is not true.

You will see a change in the amount of importers(Gio,Daymak,Konker,Saga ect) decreasing because its not worth paying the money to get it properly inspected and passed. For example Saga and Konker knew about this change and they were proactive about it and they are fine but this costs alot of money to do and GIO just switched manufacturers in Dec to comply with EPA but they have no onroad vehicles to worry about Transport Canada.

This will eliminate the "Backyard Dealer" that is only in it for a quick buck.

Because of these requirements there will be no "Cheap" bikes but in saying that you will still be getting good value for your $$

Old 02-26-2010, 07:30 AM   #13

Now this is only for BC and not all of Canada?

Old 02-26-2010, 08:31 AM   #14

BC is hardest hit because motorvehicle insurance whether it is a car or bike is purchased from the Provicial government not from an insurance agency(I could be wrong here so my appologies if I am). With that being said and I am going out on a limb here but cosidering that the government runs the insurance for the people of BC they want to keep the liability down and make sure that there is proper guidelines in place so that it doesnt come back them is the a$$.

Old 02-26-2010, 08:41 AM   #15

That makes sense. Risk management.