Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2008, 04:50 AM   #1

Hello To All and Seeking Advice

Hi All.

It's much too late and I've been scouring the posts and forums here for the better part of 2 hours before signing in. The past 2 weeks has been nothing but research for me to make a decision on a dirt bike and toys for my family. I have come into some property up in the mountains of BC (36 acres) and thought it would be fun to have some toys for myself and the family.

I've always wanted a dirt bike for some fun riding, nothing serious just some zipping around on some trails. Having never ridden one, and being a big bastard (6'6, 260lbs) I'm struggling with getting something easy to learn on versus long term enjoyment power wise, plus reliability of a Chinese low dollar versus power or longevity of a larger cc Japanese product.

I have narrowed it down to a used Yamaha, or a Giovanni from www.giovannibikes.com. I have picked out the new X35 with the Loncin OHC powerplant.

Does anyone have experience with this bike, this seller, and any insight to the on going issue in my brain that due to my size might not be all that reliable for me due to me being such a little guy.

Here's a link to the ride.
http://www.giovannibikes.com/Dirt-Bi...oductInfo.aspx

Thanks All!

-TurboT

Old 09-12-2008, 08:09 AM   #2

You're a BIG BOY alright. :wink:

You should be OK power-wise on a 250. I have a 200, and the combined weight of me and my girlfriend, is about 270 lbs, and we can power up almost anything riding two-up.

As far as the bike itself, there are those here who are more knowledgeable than me :oops:

Someone will be here shortly, in the mean time, better inventory your tool box and reserve some tinkering time, if you go the Chinese route 8O

Welcome aboard,
Tigertamer

CAUTION
Obey The Traffic Regulation.
Always Wear a Helmet.
Don't Ride After Drinking Wine.
Before Operation, Read The Owners Manual Carefully.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:59 PM   #3

Send a message via MSN to liverchip
Welcome! I have no personal experience with that bike,but as was previously inferred, mechanical know-how is necessary with these.

2007 X-Moto(Jetmoto) GY250
--mods---
15/40 sprockets
UNI Pod Filter

2007 Shineray TMS 200XYi--Betsy
Betsy Mods:______________________
Acerbis DHH headlight
FMF Powercore pipe
Uni Pod Filter

Old 09-12-2008, 04:43 PM   #4

You say you want to buy some toys for the family. Are you talking about getting some smaller bikes/atvs for kids? They will not be going to fast so you should be okay power wise with the giovanni.

Also it should hold up fine if you take the time to prep it right before riding and do basic maintenance. Remember it is not a motocross bike and keep the jumps really small.

If you want to jump the bike then you will probably want to look at a used jap product.

Allen

Old 09-12-2008, 04:50 PM   #5

Yes I am looking at the Giovanni ATV's for the kids as well. The small Mini Beast and also perhaps a 150cc larger one for the wife to ride.

Trust me when I say no jumps, being a novice rider I don't expect I will have the desire to jump a chinese or a japenese product for quite some time.

However, being 260lbs even a little bump might feel like a big jump for a 170lbs guy to the bike?

I have the cash to buy a bigger jap bike, however that would hamper my ability to get the family toys as well and I'd like us all to be able to tool around in the mountains and meadows instead of just being me out on my own. The whole idea here is family enjoyment and not being a pro mx dirt bike rider.

Old 09-12-2008, 04:53 PM   #6

For your needs I think the giovanni products will do well.

Allen

Old 09-12-2008, 11:16 PM   #7

All in all, I've been very happy with the Gio's. The factory batteries, chain etc. suck completely, but that's to be expected. I put together a older-style, pushrod GIO 250cc (21" inch front wheel) for a client, and blasted around on it for an afternoon, wiht not much problem, size wise, (I'm 6'7" and 255) The brake and shift levers were a little high, but not bad, really. The seat might as well be made of wood though... --Search for thread about KatoRanger-brand seat covers-- Trust me.

Just as a warning, the 110cc minihummer is a *very* small machine! Alright for a kidlet up to about 10, maybe 12. (Say about 5ft. max!) Might be a good idea to option up to the 150 for the kids as well.

One more side note on the 150, It has an open rear diff, and reverse in the rear end. Not terrible, but not great in the mud, and somewhat delicate, but not a tragedy.

Overall they're pretty good stuff for the price though. I've been happy with the wife's 200, and the ZMC 250 (Same as Gio Beast 250) and have bought and sold a couple of broken 110's. I'm happy, but then again, I like wrenching, and have a pretty competant workshop at home...

Hope it helps--
--Vince

EDIT: I almost forgot, the swing arm bushings on all the Gio ATV's are craptacular! Quick wearing, and then the chain falls off a lot, and steers like a retarded cow in heat. *BUT* Replacements can be a) bought, or b) made out of brass, c) or the 200 and 110' made up from SKF 6001rs bearings. Easy afternoon fix. Not sure about the dirt bikes, haven't heard anything yet... VWD.

Old 09-14-2008, 04:14 AM   #8

Thanks for all your input guys. I appreciate it.

I went ahead and made a decision, one that probably won't sit as favourably in this forum, and went and bought a 2004 Yamaha YZ250F for myself.

While I paid more than I would have buying a new GIO, I felt that what I was looking for was a 'make fun' toy more than a 'make work' toy. I'm mechanically capable having been an automotive engine machinist for 12 years, I didn't want to spend oodles of time in the shop repairing than riding and enjoying.

I do think I will soon be buying some sort of Chinese ATV for the wife and kids though. Either specifically a Loncin from a dealer up the street or the GIO's. The kids and wife won't be nearly as hard on this stuff than I would be roaring around on a bike. Not to worry about the smallness of the GIO's, my daughters right now are only 6 and 4. The younger one I don't think is really ready for it but the older one could handle it governed back and allowed for a little more speed as she grows older. I didn't expect them to be keeping up with me on any trails, but to have fun on the airstrip and meadows on the property for a while.

I have to say I did like the look of the GIO bikes and I do think they'd be equally fun, especially if I felt I had the time to get my hands dirty often, because that has it's distractionary de-stresses as well!

I will let you know how I make out with the Quads when they land in my driveway!

TurboT!

---as a side note, I took the big blue scoot out for a roar, somewhat illegally in a green area around my house and the damn thing rips my heavy ass around more than I expected, so I think I'll have fun with the darn thing until I stick a valve! (lets hope that doesn't happen!)

Old 09-14-2008, 04:45 AM   #9

Don't worry, Brother, half the members here have Japanese bikes too! I ride one from Milwaukee.

There is plenty of room here for you to refine your final search.

Don't let any sleepy pilots do a "wheels-up landing" on your driveway :wink:

Have fun,
Tigertamer

CAUTION
Obey The Traffic Regulation.
Always Wear a Helmet.
Don't Ride After Drinking Wine.
Before Operation, Read The Owners Manual Carefully.

Old 09-14-2008, 01:55 PM   #10

Yurp, lots of members have Japanese bikes (Check my .sig! )

Thinking about it, I'm pretty sure there's a couple of YZF owners here as well... Might be a good place to stick around....

--Vince

Old 09-14-2008, 06:54 PM   #11

Alot of us own multiple bikes. I even have a jap/china hybrid.

You probably made a good decision in going jap for yourself.

Allen

Old 09-14-2008, 07:31 PM   #12

Send a message via Yahoo to DDG1976
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT
Thanks for all your input guys. I appreciate it.

I went ahead and made a decision, one that probably won't sit as favourably in this forum, and went and bought a 2004 Yamaha YZ250F for myself.

While I paid more than I would have buying a new GIO, I felt that what I was looking for was a 'make fun' toy more than a 'make work' toy. I'm mechanically capable having been an automotive engine machinist for 12 years, I didn't want to spend oodles of time in the shop repairing than riding and enjoying.

I do think I will soon be buying some sort of Chinese ATV for the wife and kids though. Either specifically a Loncin from a dealer up the street or the GIO's. The kids and wife won't be nearly as hard on this stuff than I would be roaring around on a bike. Not to worry about the smallness of the GIO's, my daughters right now are only 6 and 4. The younger one I don't think is really ready for it but the older one could handle it governed back and allowed for a little more speed as she grows older. I didn't expect them to be keeping up with me on any trails, but to have fun on the airstrip and meadows on the property for a while.

I have to say I did like the look of the GIO bikes and I do think they'd be equally fun, especially if I felt I had the time to get my hands dirty often, because that has it's distractionary de-stresses as well!

I will let you know how I make out with the Quads when they land in my driveway!

TurboT!

---as a side note, I took the big blue scoot out for a roar, somewhat illegally in a green area around my house and the damn thing rips my heavy ass around more than I expected, so I think I'll have fun with the darn thing until I stick a valve! (lets hope that doesn't happen!)
I had a yz250 for years, yz125 before that, yz80 before that, kdx80 before that. We don't discriminate!!!

Old 09-14-2008, 09:40 PM   #13

1972 cb350 :oops:

Old 09-14-2008, 10:30 PM   #14

Everyone here seems like a friendly bunch and I think that is great. Nothing can ruin a site like this like a few immature wankers who rip everyone apart who have differing purchases and thoughts. I can't believe the haters on Youtube when you watch some vids of Chinese bikes.

For everyone's amusement, my hour long yide on the Yammy has caused me a good deal of soreness in my forearms elbows and shoulders. Since Mr. Newbie here was quite tense initially at getting used to the clutch and gas in my hands on not feet, I was squeezing those things good and tight. I have new respect for the word 'sport' in MX.
OUCH.. :oops:

Old 09-14-2008, 11:11 PM   #15

Send a message via Yahoo to DDG1976
Ride a lifan gy-5 for a hour, your butt will feel like your forearms!