Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2021, 04:52 PM   #1

Help...Hawk 250 Idler Cover Needed!

Thanks in advance everyone.

Does anyone know where I can get a hawk 250 starter / idler cover? I have scoured the internet and can't find anything. The one on this bike that I have had been altered as it had been cracked and it finally gave way. I have looked at other 167fmm Motors but there are some differences. I need one from a hawk 250. This bike is a 2017. All the Best!

Old 01-09-2021, 06:58 PM   #2

are you referring to 1 of these?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...0o.productlist

Old 01-09-2021, 07:06 PM   #3

You should probably be able to make a CRF 230F cover work, if needed.

Old 01-10-2021, 12:44 AM   #4

You can also get one from CSC for the TT250. I had to replace mine on the Hawk after breaking off a tab by accident.

Part 7 for the cover. Part 5 for the O-ring. Not entirely sure what differences you have encountered thus far, but it worked on my Hawk.
https://cscmotorcycles.com/oem-parts...se-cover-left/
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 01-10-2021, 10:27 AM   #5

MegaDan,

Thanks so much for that reference. I just ordered several parts from CSC. The reason I mentioned it had to be a Hawk was due to me already having another 167fmm engine spare. I tried to use the cover off of the spare but it didn't seem to fit. Well, it fit with the exception of not sliding all the way in with the gear in place. It seemed as though the gear just wasn't in far enough but i and tried and tried. Is there any secret to reinstalling the reduction gear? And then placing the cover? I rebuild all sorts of bikes but this one had me stumped.

Thanks!

Old 01-10-2021, 02:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
MegaDan,

Thanks so much for that reference. I just ordered several parts from CSC. The reason I mentioned it had to be a Hawk was due to me already having another 167fmm engine spare. I tried to use the cover off of the spare but it didn't seem to fit. Well, it fit with the exception of not sliding all the way in with the gear in place. It seemed as though the gear just wasn't in far enough but i and tried and tried. Is there any secret to reinstalling the reduction gear? And then placing the cover? I rebuild all sorts of bikes but this one had me stumped.

Thanks!
Make sure the pin on the shaft for the gear is sitting in it's little notch in the housing. That pin just holds the shaft to keep it from spinning. That may be your issue.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 01-10-2021, 06:28 PM   #7

Hello Quinn,

I had some issues with my starter case, missing starter transfer reduction gear and damaged gear shaft due to the previous owner of my used CG250 engine had botched it. I will try to find some photos to attach on some of my repairs/mods that came about.
As Megadan advised there is normally a pin on the shaft which I believe is affixed to A.Prevent the shaft rotating, and B. retain the shim washers.
However the previous owner failed to understand this and ramjammed the shaft with pin out of location which stressed the case....I believe this to answer the question on why this engine was so cheap. Anyway I ordered a new reduction transfer gear and pin set of AliX (BE AWARE THAT STARTER REDUCTION GEAR COME IN DIFFERENT TOOTH COUNTS 16/17/18) So make sure to count the teeth to confirm a proper mesh if replacing.

After I managed to remove the shaft from my case with persuasion and clean the recess in the case for installation the pin just snapped off. The replacement shaft I received was pin'less and given the stress fracture in the case I decided not to use the pin either way. Looking at the cover side also shows a pin recess ,on my example which I considered using and went to the effort to reinforce the area with 3/4 copper pipe sleeve. But after that just went without the shaft pin. I rather have the shaft spin if it wants to than lock up and damage the case or almost snap off and fall into the gears etc. pros/cons
user discretion and all that...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ramjam.jpg (31.1 KB, 274 views)
File Type: jpg coppersleve.jpg (48.7 KB, 265 views)
File Type: jpg sleeved.jpg (49.8 KB, 265 views)

Last edited by XLsior; 01-11-2021 at 11:31 PM.

Old 01-11-2021, 07:10 AM   #8

XLsior,

Thanks for the response. You hit the nail on the head... The previous owner did some damage to this bike. For starters, the m8 bolt that attaches the starter motor to the crankcase is missing. The starter reduction gear cover is cracked. The shaft with the pin on it is missing the pin. The starter works and spins when the reduction gear is removed but does nothing (single click) when it is in place. Also, the copper ring you made is great... That pin retainer on this hawk is cracked. I have since ordered a new pin, reduction gear, cover and o ring. Need to find an m8 bolt. (Anyone know the length of it?)

All The Best !

Old 01-11-2021, 07:35 AM   #9

single m8 bolt you say...hmm my starter is held on using 2x m6 bolts.

As for the no turn single click start issue... my inklings are: make sure the engine is in neutral, check to see if the 1 way starter clutch rotates by first seeing if the intermediary transfer gear between the stater reduction gear and clutch gear moves...missing pin huh could it perhaps be a case of the pin falling into starter assembly and binding up...also check if the previous owner hasn't installed the wrong tooth count reduction gear...

Side Note: Also be aware there supposed to be 4x 0.5mm thick shim washers 2 on either side of the reduction gear, with the pin on the outside to seat in the recess...

Old 01-11-2021, 07:47 AM   #10

The copper ring is an interference fit and won't move, it's basically a broken pin fail safe retention measure to prevent it falling out and causing more damage. if you decide to run the pin on the cover side instead of the case...I didn't want to put any mores stress on my already damaged case and replacing the cover is far cheaper if damaged for whatever reason.