Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2021, 05:07 PM   #1

HAWK 125cc oil cooler install

I got 125ml oil cooler I was going to put on my Magician, but after seeing the size and how it would fit, it is better suited to the Hawk. Dead of winter and no riding weather in sight is a good time for upgrades. Thought others might appreciate some pictures too. Happy New Year! Was two years ago New Years day I placed the order for this Hawk and began the China Rider way.

This install is based upon Megadan 125ml oil cooler install. He has a video of his install. On my install below at this position it hits on the forks on both sides.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Oil cooler install resize.jpg (53.9 KB, 327 views)
File Type: jpg Oil cooler install 3 resize.jpg (57.6 KB, 360 views)
File Type: jpg oil cooler install 4 resize.jpg (52.0 KB, 332 views)

Last edited by China Rider 27; 01-03-2021 at 06:31 PM. Reason: correction

Old 01-01-2021, 05:26 PM   #2

Yeah, that is the exact same way I mounted mine, but I think you are suffering from a similar problem I have. Variance in frame construction. That "notch" section where your upper mount is located is actually higher than it is on my bike. That would explain why yours gets hit by the triple clamp.

There is definitely some variation in the frames. In my case the rear lower frame tubes where they meet the center on mine interfere with my selection of intakes. Jerry and a few others can simply run the basic angled intake and I had to go on an epic quest to locate the CQR intake so I could run a socket style carb.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 01-01-2021, 05:39 PM   #3

That explains it. I looked at the pictures of your bike and tried to compare where the bottom of the cooler was at in relation to the fender in your video and when I lowered the cooler on my bike it looked to be about the same so I knew it was in about the same place as yours overall I think it will work well enough to angle down, if not I will build some kinda special clamp.

Old 01-02-2021, 04:42 AM   #4

I guess I never did take good pictures of it now that I think about it. The difference in height isn't actually very much, but it seems to be just enough to make all the difference.

Personally, if the lower mount can hold it well enough I don't see why the upper mount couldn't be hung down a bit. Just make sure to use a locknut, loctite, or nylock nuts on the bolts for the clamps as they will vibrate loose slowly lol.

Old 01-02-2021, 10:36 AM   #5

Yaa....when I saw your video and you never said anything about the fit I thought hmm.... that is odd being you are so thorough and careful to point out issues LOL. So I had to ask. I had it mocked up and it fits tight enough but my OCD has got me thinking about a bracket modification so we'll see which way I go. That location is preferred as high as you can get it, but oil cooler mounting can require some custom fabrication.

Old 01-02-2021, 10:21 AM   #6

I too used Dan's bike as a template... But I mounted my cooler lower, not much, just put the top clamp under that frame tube/notch. I didn't even look to see if it would fit better up higher. Maybe I'll look at that.

Old 01-02-2021, 10:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard_Cain View Post
I too used Dan's bike as a template... But I mounted my cooler lower, not much, just put the top clamp under that frame tube/notch. I didn't even look to see if it would fit better up higher. Maybe I'll look at that.
If you bike is similar to mine, you couldn't go much lower about what is required an inch or so. In the picture you can see that welded clutch cable retainer ring. It will slide down to sit on that and provide a very stable perch preventing it from going any lower.

Old 01-02-2021, 10:43 PM   #8

Spent the day straightening this out. Looks like a lot of space to work with but really that cooler can only go in one place and that is where it is. The triple tree clears on both sides by about an inch. The lower brace is resting on the clutch cable bracket. Under the cross bar on top is the best solution for the upper mount on my particular my bike. No fabricated bracket can provide any better support. In order to duplicate this upper mount you will need longer bolts to reach. The mount is very tight and rigid.

The clutch cable got in the way of the bracket and rubbed on the threaded bolts. I cut some 3/8 inch copper pipe and slide it on the bolts with washers on the end to keep it off the rubber so it will roll and slide and it does the trick allowing the clutch cable to slide up and down when you turn the triple tree. The front fender is shimmed with two pieces of 1/8 inch flat rubber cut to fit and provides about a 1/2 inch clearance between the fender and the cooler.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 125 cc oil cooler black resize.jpg (63.8 KB, 273 views)
File Type: jpg 125 cc oil cooler black hose resize.jpg (68.4 KB, 280 views)

Old 01-03-2021, 11:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by China Rider 27 View Post
Spent the day straightening this out. Looks like a lot of space to work with but really that cooler can only go in one place and that is where it is. The triple tree clears on both sides by about an inch. The lower brace is resting on the clutch cable bracket. Under the cross bar on top is the best solution for the upper mount on my particular my bike. No fabricated bracket can provide any better support. In order to duplicate this upper mount you will need longer bolts to reach. The mount is very tight and rigid.

The clutch cable got in the way of the bracket and rubbed on the threaded bolts. I cut some 3/8 inch copper pipe and slide it on the bolts with washers on the end to keep it off the rubber so it will roll and slide and it does the trick allowing the clutch cable to slide up and down when you turn the triple tree. The front fender is shimmed with two pieces of 1/8 inch flat rubber cut to fit and provides about a 1/2 inch clearance between the fender and the cooler.
That looks just like the spot where I put mine, except as noted above, I had to cut my clutch cable ring off the frame. It was in the way only just... 1/8" lower and it wouldn't have.

Old 01-03-2021, 11:15 AM   #10

Quote:
If you bike is similar to mine, you couldn't go much lower about what is required an inch or so. In the picture you can see that welded clutch cable retainer ring. It will slide down to sit on that and provide a very stable perch preventing it from going any lower.
I cut that welded ring off.

I also rerouted my clutch cable when I put my protaper fat bar on.

Old 01-03-2021, 06:55 PM   #11

Out of curiosity I measured how much oil the 125 ml cooler would take, yes I did mess the title up with cc but it is ml. A quart is equal to 946.4 ml. A quarter of a quart is 236 ml. The cooler takes around 210 ml to fill up the cooler itself and another 35 ml to fill up the oil pump line. So why do they call it a 125 ml cooler? Surface area?

Old 01-03-2021, 07:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Out of curiosity I measured how much oil the 125 ml cooler would take, yes I did mess the title up with cc but it is ml. A quart is equal to 946.4 ml. A quarter of a quart is 236 ml. The cooler takes around 210 ml to fill up the cooler itself and another 35 ml to fill up the oil pump line. So why do they call it a 125 ml cooler? Surface area?
Sounds about right. My bike takes right around 1.5 quarts to get the oil about 2/3 up the sight glass if i drain the whole system out.

As far as the 125ml thing, I am going to.assume it is the capacity of the finned area itself and doesn't include the two ends.where the fittings are, which makes up a big part of the volume. Just a guess though.

Last edited by Megadan; 01-04-2021 at 07:03 PM.

Old 01-04-2021, 03:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Fun fact (and another reason metric measurement is superior to SAE/Imperial), 1cc is the same volume as 1ml.

1cc = 1ml.

1000cc = 1000ml = 1L

Old 01-04-2021, 07:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard_Cain View Post
Fun fact (and another reason metric measurement is superior to SAE/Imperial), 1cc is the same volume as 1ml.

1cc = 1ml.

1000cc = 1000ml = 1L
All be...right when I thought I was wrong. Now I know exactly how much volume is taken up by a 125cc motor and then multiplying by 2 we get 250cc. So now I wonder, how many oz are there in a square inch?

Old 01-05-2021, 02:06 AM   #15

Quote:
So now I wonder, how many oz are there in a square inch?
None, because a square inch is a 2 dismensional meaure. There are 0.554112554 Fluid Ounces per cubic inch, however.