Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2007, 12:30 PM   #1

Restoring the Ratketa - Project thread (pics - 56k beware)

I figured there might be a little interest here in the progress of the Ratketa, so I'll use this thread to track it. To start off with there will be some duplicate pictures but i'll add new ones as I move along. I'll also post links and information about any parts I get and use. So, off we go!

It all started on a hot summers day in Texas when I saw the following ad on Craigslist...

Quote:
2005 roketa 250cc **come make me an offer**

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i have a roketa 250 that needs some plastic i got it to fix up but dont have time i have a clear blue title in hand i know it runs but it needs a new starter good engine though you can call me at XXX-XXX-XXXX my name is joseph
So, after a few phone calls and $50 later, i was the owner of the Ratketa. Now some pics.

The Ratketa comes home...

It needs a few parts....

like a muffler and a kick starter...

and a fender....

And a headlight and throttle cable...

only 1200 miles, not too bad if it is accurate...

Its missing so many parts, but still has all four turn signals. I thought it was missing all of the body plastic, but the rear fender is still there. The bike used to be blue but was attacked by a black spraypaint can...

Oh yeah...a shift lever will be needed.

so there you go...I will add more later as the work goes on. I hope I remember to take more pics....lol

The Ratketa Blog

Old 08-31-2007, 12:43 PM   #2

Progree so far...

tested the bike with my portable jumpstarter and the motor turns over but does not fire. I have spark but I believe the bike has sat so long that the carb is gummed up.

The original Torch sparkplug has been pulled and replaced with a NGK (owners manual from Roketa shows the needed sparkplug gap to be 0.6mm - 0.7mm - this works out to 0.027in which is when i gapped the new plug) The torch plug was not really carbon fouled but was very wet, i believe the plugged carb was just dumping gas.

I pulled the tank, airbox and carb off the bike last night. Tank is clean looking inside but i will flush it anyway. The petcock on the tank is functioning properly and not leaking.

I pulled the carb apart and it was fairly clean inside but it looked like the main jet was plugged up. The needle clip was set to the factory center postion and the needle itself looks bent. I'll stop by the local cycle parts house and see if I can procure a new needle.

The rest of the carb went into a can of Berrymans chemtool. This stuff will clean varnish of of anything and skin off your hands! hopefully this will get the jets all cleaned out and any gum out of the carb passages. (i hope i remember how to put the carb back together!! 8O )

I also picked up stuff for an oil change as well.

Plans for saturday are to put the carb back togetther and reinstall it, change the oil and and flush and reinstall the gas tank. And then see if she will start.

The Ratketa Blog

Old 08-31-2007, 12:51 PM   #3

Couple of extra notes...

Looking for parts. Roketa told me I could order straight from them. I placed an order online and someone was supposed to call me with the prices but nobody has.

I spoke to Rod at atvdiscounter.com who said I could get parts from the bike from him and that he had most of what I needed in stock. I will probably go to him for the muffler and some other small parts.

I purchased a new throttle cable and shift lever from Glenn at MeFast for a better price than atvdiscounters. They are shipping tomorrow and i hope to have them before next weekend. Glenn was very helpful and also directed me to someone who should have the kickstarter I need.

More progress pics to come tonight or tomorrow.

The Ratketa Blog

Old 08-31-2007, 02:52 PM   #4

Barnfind

I understand that you are quite proud of your ratbike madman, but I'm pleading with you brother, please don't call it that. I have worked for month's to get my bike to look like yours, and mine isn't even as powerful. Seriously, look into my album, pg 8 of the gallery. When I bought my bike they looked close, but after 100's of hours of work, mine just looks cleaner than yours. And if you knew what I paid 8O . 50$ Good on you! I'm at 45333K and the pics arn't too slow, keep em coming. Can't wait to read you got it fired up/N2r.

Old 08-31-2007, 04:07 PM   #5

Madmanjustice,
I have a 2006 Jialing Viva VX200SX that I am parting out. Most of the parts are the same as the Roketa. I have the muffler you need and probably a lot of other parts you can use! You may save some cash by using my like new parts. My bike only had 25 miles on it when I decided to part it out. I have a thread in the For Sale section with pictures of my bike.

Just a thought! PM me!

SamM
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E
1979 Yamaha XS650 Special II

Old 08-31-2007, 04:17 PM   #6

Re: Barnfind

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2riding
I understand that you are quite proud of your ratbike madman, but I'm pleading with you brother, please don't call it that. I have worked for month's to get my bike to look like yours, and mine isn't even as powerful. Seriously, look into my album, pg 8 of the gallery. When I bought my bike they looked close, but after 100's of hours of work, mine just looks cleaner than yours. And if you knew what I paid 8O . 50$ Good on you! I'm at 45333K and the pics arn't too slow, keep em coming. Can't wait to read you got it fired up/N2r.
Awww, come on man. Maybe when I get it finished it will no longer be a Rat 8) . But like I said before, your bike is too nice to be a rat

Currently, mine is definitely a rat!

The Ratketa Blog

Old 08-31-2007, 04:53 PM   #7

By the sounds of it your bike is going to get into shape quick. It won't be ratlike for long, so I can take it. :P If Sam can help you with parts it might not be long at all.

Old 09-01-2007, 01:04 PM   #8

Quick update..... 8O

I got the carb back together and installed, hooked up my jumpstarter, sprayed some starter fluid in the carb and it started!! w00t!!...

back to work....

The Ratketa Blog

Old 09-01-2007, 03:06 PM   #9

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!

alrighty now.....

todays update brought to you by....

JAVA MONSTER....best.energy.drink.EVER!

I pulled the carb parts out of the cleaner to begin putting the carb backtogether...

Got the jets and floats installed, ready to button it up.

Got the carb back togetther, got it bolted back up with the airbox, there is a new plug and fresh gas installed and then we get this.... click the pic for video!

That was a no-choke start

Funny things so far. When i first started it, it would idle really high even with the choke all the way off, i tried adjusting the idle screw but wasn't gettng any changes. I had to pull te carb again to put an o-ring that i had left out back in so when i did that i removed the jerry-rigged throttle cable and noticed that the barrel on it was WAY too large and was not letting the slide drop far enough down. So i reassembled the carb without the cable and turned the idle screw in almost all the way. Then when it started I simply backed the idle screw out until i had a nice idle. Now I have reason to go ahead and buy a few more parts.

I already have a throttle cable and shift lever on the way...exhaust will be next on the list.

well, back out to play with it a bit more.

The Ratketa Blog

Old 09-01-2007, 07:42 PM   #10

Good deal. You will be riding soon.

Allen

Old 09-01-2007, 08:28 PM   #11

Nice that You got it running again, Looks like the project is going ahead full steam.

Old 09-02-2007, 01:24 AM   #12

Running very cool 8) by the way, you wrote in another thread.

"i'm considering replacing the stock bars on the Ratketa with a set of drag bars. That is if I go for a streetfighter/cafe/ratbike look with it."

Do you have a pic of what that might look like? Is there a way to make what I got a little more streetfighter/cafe like. I have said since I got my bike I'd like to change the look. I have a pic in my album that I doctored. Very amature. Different bars, bigger tank, smaller fender, bubble light. Is that what you mean? Sorry I'm so new.

Old 09-02-2007, 04:34 AM   #13

something similar to this...maybe not as extreme but you get the picture.

The Ratketa Blog

Old 09-02-2007, 04:44 AM   #14

late night update

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
katoranger[/b] in another thread]At home now. With everything that is missing it stills has the turn signals.

Only 1200 km on the odo. Speedo cable is likely to be broken.
Yeah, got to messing with the electrics after getting the bike running and my dad and I were trying to figure out why none of the lights (that are still attached to the bike) were working. It was then we realized that the turn signal/flasher relay was missing. My dad pulled the one out of his truck and plugged it in and PRESTO! I have 4 working turn signals, even the bulbs were all good.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure the 1200 miles on the speedo is accurate, we checked and the speedo cable is working

The Ratketa Blog

Old 09-02-2007, 09:02 AM   #15

madmanjustice,
If you are interested I have a UNI filter aiecleaner that I purchased for my Viva. The filter cost me $16 but my low, low price for guys fixing up used Roketas is just $10. I'll give you first dibs on it. I can send it with your other parts.

Hey the bike looks good. It's coming along nicely.

Let me know!

SamM

2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E
1979 Yamaha XS650 Special II